Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trips worth visiting from Osaka & tokyo 2016/9/29 12:35
We are going to Tokyo and Osaka as home base in October.

Given this list of renovations, is it still worth it to take a day trip out to NARA, NIKKO, or HAKONE?

http://www.japan-guide.com/event/construction.html

We are considering a traditional ryokan as well on this one day.
by jolieqe  

Re: Day trips worth visiting from Osaka & tokyo 2016/9/29 17:10
I took a day trip to Nara from Kyoto and Hakone from Tojyo, both are worth it. It really depends on the kind of thing you like doing tho. Nara is mainly a park + temple and more for relaxation I think, similar to Hakone. Both are about an hour away, so its well worth it in my opinion. Nikko however is quite far from Tokyo. I didn't end up going there because I thought it would be tiring to do it as a day trip. You might want to check out Kamakura instead.
by Bafabifi rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips worth visiting from Osaka & tokyo 2016/9/29 17:47
Thank you. I do feel the trains and transfers may be too much.

I don't know how easy it is for an American to learn the train system out there! Maybe Nara or Hakone is the way to go. Which did you like better? :)
by jolieqe rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips worth visiting from Osaka & tokyo 2016/9/29 22:43
Nikko, Nara, Hakone (as well as many other places) are all good places to take day trips to. Nikko isn't too far in my opinion, however I think it would also be a really pleasant place to stay overnight if that was an option in the itinerary. I'd like to revisit there in the future and stay overnight so I have time to explore the area more. Don't let that deter you from visiting for a day though.

What do you mean you're considering a ryokan on that day? Do you mean you are planning on staying overnight? If so, that's not a day trip.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips worth visiting from Osaka & tokyo 2016/9/30 12:03
Which american city are you from? If from somewhere like New York you would hardly have a problem. Japan's rail has good signages and the platforms are well marked. There is also a board that informs on trains, train times, final destinations, (may have inbetween destinations) that changes between English and Japanese.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trips worth visiting from Osaka & tokyo 2016/10/1 07:44
I am from California we don't use trains much!

Re: Day trips worth visiting from Osaka & tokyo 2016/10/1 12:45
By Ryokan for a day - I meant on 10/25 leaving Kyoto and going back to Tokyo we were thinking of staying at aRyokan that day . Not sure what's along the way.

reply to this thread