Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to spend a few hours in Osaka 2016/10/4 01:52
Hi,

we will arrive at Kansai airport around 7:30am, and would like to spend the day in Osaka before transfering to Kyoto in the early evening (say around 5-6pm). I would like to see Osaka castle, but besides that, I'm not sure what to do/see.

- How long should we plan to stay at the castle? Is it worth going inside, especially as we are later seeing Nijo-castle in Kyoto and Hikone castle?
- What other places are must-see and doable within the schedule?
- What to do about luggage? As far as I see, there is the possibility to send our luggage to our hotel in Kyoto directly from the airport via Yamato Takkyubin or alike; but maybe there is also the possibility to store it in lockers at a station in Osaka? Does this make sense (and if so, which station has large lockers that can hold large suitcases?) or should we rather go with Yamato?

Thanks for any replies, tips, and help!
by ShioriSenpai  

Re: How to spend a few hours in Osaka 2016/10/5 10:57
Osaka Castle does not have a traditional castle interior; the castle is a reproduction and houses a modern museum inside. I've never been inside, but the museum sounds good. It's worth visiting just for the exterior, due to the colours (different to other castles).

Nijo-jo is very different to Osaka and Hikone castles; the main keep is not present and you tour a palace instead.

Take a look at the Osaka page on this website for more ideas.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to spend a few hours in Osaka 2016/10/5 17:10
Osaka ideas: 1. Tenmangu Shrine/Tenjinbashi Street/Osaka museum of Living and Housing (all in one place, five minute subway ride from Higashi Umeda subway station which is accessed through shopping arcades from Osaka Station). 2. Shitennoji Temple, really! old and authentic. Garden is exquisite. Temple is free, garden has a small fee. 3. Dotonburi! Food, people watching, cocktails, more food; Think the cleaned-up version of Times Square or any restaurant row you can name but not uber-expensive. Take pictures of the Glico Man and the Big Crab(s), there are two of them. Best after a day of Castle, Tenmangu, Shitennoji sightseeing.
ps Umeda Sky Garden (high rise ten minute walk north of Osaka Station).
by johnnyman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to spend a few hours in Osaka 2016/10/5 23:46
Osaka has some good cat cafes; Nyantsume is one of my favorites: http://animalcafes.com/v/25527.html

There are also at least a few dog cafes, if you prefer: http://animalcafes.com/v/25532.html

by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: How to spend a few hours in Osaka 2016/10/6 05:50
I second dotonbori, roam around, eat the piping hot takoyaki, get on a boat, go to any izakaya and try some okonomiyaki
Overall it's a festive atmosphere there with lot of fun people around
by Zzz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to spend a few hours in Osaka 2016/10/6 06:50
I second dotonbori, roam around, eat the piping hot takoyaki, get on a boat, go to any izakaya and try some okonomiyaki
Overall it's a festive atmosphere there with lot of fun people around
by Zzz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread