Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsumago or Narai? 2016/10/4 08:59
I want to hit Tsumago or Narai while passing through Nagoya, but really only have time to see one, assuming It's just a day visit before moving on. If it's worth it and accommodations are available I'd consider spending the night at either.

If you could only visit one, would you go to Tsumago or Narai?

Thanks!

Bannister
by banmanb2  

Re: Tsumago or Narai? 2016/10/5 23:07
This is difficult. Tsumago is more isolated, and more atmospheric. The museum and wakihonjin are also nice. It's not that big though, and accessing it might not be worth it.

Narai is the longest preserved former post town. I really like it and the shop owners are very friendly. Sometimes there are cars parked along the road that are annoying for pictures. Vehicles are not permitted on the road though, except for those of the businesses and residents who live there, so there are not many, but they are necessary to keep the place open and thriving. Narai is very scenic, though. You can also walk to Kiso-Hirasawa from Narai if you're interested in lacquer ware.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago or Narai? 2016/10/5 23:12
And the biggest plus for Narai-juku is that it has a JR station. Been to both and agree that the cars were parked when I took photos, but when I went it was very early in the morning and the town hadn't woken up yet. Went to Tsumago after that, by bus, and it was more lively. But it's hard to get to.

If you have to choose between the two, then the one with easier access, Narai-juku, would have to be my choice. The large pine at the end of the hill, just like in the photo on this site, is quite nice!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tsumago or Narai? 2016/10/15 15:04
You guys are awesome, thanks!
by banmanb2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread