Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/10/4 12:12
I am looking forward to a leisure trip to Kyushu in end Jan/early Feb 2017. May I know:

1) are there many overseas tourists especially from China during this period of Chinese New year?
2) I have 7 full days in Kyushu. Thinking to visit Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Beppu/Yufuin/ Dazaifu. I wonder if Kagoshima is worth a visit as it is way down south. I like my trip to be leisurely.
3) For all the above, should I get a train pass?
4) Should I travel as Fukuoka-Nagasaki-Kagoshima-Beppu-Fukuoka or go to Fukuoka as a base after each side trip eg Fukuoka-Nagasaki-Fukuoka-Kagoshima-Fukuoka etc
5) Any recommended premier outlets?

Many thanks
by flooly  

Re: Kyushu in end Jan 2017 2016/10/5 10:46
You should have time to do everything without rushing.

How you travel will depend on yourself. All those locations you listed are 90-120 minute train rides away from Fukuoka.

Some people use Fukuoka as a base and day trip to the others. Sleeping or resting on the trains etc.

Others spend 1.5 days somewhere, and move to a new location in the afternoon.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in end Jan 2017 2016/10/6 17:31
Does anyone have any recommendations for hotel/minshu with in-room onsen in Yufuin or Beppu?
by flooly rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in end Jan 2017 2016/10/6 20:31
There will be some Chinese tourists at this time - but it should be reasonably manageable. If you want to get totally away from Chinese and all other tourists - try Shikoku at this time (I did this last year).

Using Fukuoka as a base is a good one - apart from Nagasaki which is worth a night or two by it's own. The other towns are within close distance of Fukuoka but Yufu is meant to be best to stay overnight.

I can't comment directly on Beppu & Yufu at these times as I'll be there at roughly the same time as you. If you run out of things to do - then Saga is a great option. Keeping your options limited and completing lots of day trips is great in Northern Kyushu as everything is really close.
by mfedley (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in end Jan 2017 2016/10/7 12:12
I wonder is I should go to Kagoshima? As most places seemed to be in north and only Kagoshima is out of the way, so to speak.

Re: Kyushu in end Jan 2017 2016/10/7 12:29
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in end Jan 2017 2016/10/7 12:43
Miyazaki is also out of the way compared to the north, but that is semantics. Or Takachiho for that matter.

But since you'll only have one day free once you do 2x Nagasaki, 2x Fukuoka, 2x Yufuin/Beppu. Then Kagoshima is all you will be able to get to time wise.

Kagoshima is worth a ride on the trams. Ferry over to Sakurajima, etc. Down to Ibusuki if you are into sand onsens etc. You may have already done that at Beppu and not worry about it again.

Even taking the Orange railway up the west coast at dusk watching the sun set on the sea. Lots to do and see. Just depends on what "you" like to see.

Re: Kyushu in end Jan 2017 2016/10/7 13:20
My tentative itinerary:
D1 Hakata (stay at Hakata) 1 side trips
D2 Hakata-Nagasaki (stay at Nagasaki)
D3 Nagasaki - Kagoshima (stay Kagoshima)
D4 Kagoshima - Hakata (stay Hakata)
D5 Hakata-Beppu/Yufuin (stay Yufuin)
D6 Yufuin-Hakata (stay Hakata)
D7 Hakata 1 side trip (stay hakata)

What are the side trips from Hakata which are good: eg Dazaifu, Karatsu, Yanagawa, Nokonoshima or any suggestions? How can I fit in Tosu premier outlet? Any side trips from Nagasaki? Looks like I will be shifting hotels very often with the above.

Re: Kyushu in end Jan 2017 2016/10/7 19:49
Yes that is a lot of moving around.

I'd probably do:-
2 nights Nagasaki, sightsee nagasaki, 2nd day side trip
2 nights yufuin or beppu - stay yufuin and day trip beppu or visa vera.
3 nights Fukuoka, day trip Kagoshima, sightsee Fukuoka, 3rd day side trip or more Fukuoka.

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/10/14 11:42
May I know how to travel from Nagasaki to Kagoshima - by bus or train will take how long?

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/10/14 12:10
3 hours by train.

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/11/15 11:01
May I know how to travel from Kagoshima to Yufuin? How long will the journey take? Tq

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/11/15 12:03
you may know by typing the start and finish location into hyperdia.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/11/17 18:06
My latest itinerary looks like this:
D1 Arr Fukuoka, side trip Dazaifu
D2 side trip Mojiko
D3 side trip Nagasaki
D4 Hakata-Kagoshima
D5 Kagoshima
D6 Kago-Yufuin/Beppu
D7 Yufuin-Fukuoka
D8 side trip Tosu premier outlet
D9 depart Fukuoka
Looks like many days in Fukuoka but with side trips. Any inputs that I can consider?

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/11/18 09:22
Looks quite good.

While it look like you have many days in Fukuoka, I'm only counting many 3/4 of a day sightseeing as the rest is taken up with other locations. Too be honest, depending on your like, you'd probably want more time to see more. But between Hakata Stations and Ohori Park along the subway line, and the shops and temple in between, you'll have a good 3/4 day. Maybe on the Tosu Outlet day you'll get a few hours to roam the city more?

The Kagoshima to Yufuin day, I'd probably depart Kagoshima early to arrive at lunch or just before so you can sightsee.

The Yufuin to Hakata day, I'd go via Beppu. Beppu is about one hour away from Yufuin, so you can probably relax in Yufuin in the morning, head off to Beppu around lunch and sightsee Beppu in the afternoon and into the evening. Take a late train back to Fukuoka.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/11/18 10:13
Thank you Hakata14, you have been most helpful.

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/11/18 10:25
Depending on some things like your arrival time, you could possibly add a bit more here and there.
Dazaifu is most famous for its Tenmangu Shrine, but it won't take you more than 30 minutes tops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwxGPZxPlNw
The Komyozenji Temple garden next to it is worth seeing also. If you arrive early enough in the day to Japan, you could also squeeze in going down to Yanagawa to ride the canal boats there; or stay in Dazaifu and see the Kyushu National Museum if you like museums.
In the evening you could try some ramen at one of the stalls (yatai) along the Naka River and enjoy the city lights, as well as enjoy the night view from the top of the Fukuoka Tower or Minami Park Observatory Tower (the latter is free).
http://www.thejapanfaq.com/fukpic.html
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-j4RLa6iC7ayvBAbOn8-0...

For Moji, it is worth seeing as a preserved section of the Japan from a century ago - but you could if you want walk down the Kanmon Tunnel to Yamaguchi - it's just a tunnel, but not many chances to walk under the ocean between islands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y4K6erVyvA

Also Kokura Castle might be worth a look if you have time, and if the weather is good, the view from atop Mt Sarakurayama is one of the finest in Japan and unknown to nearly everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1pCW9Ibbk

Nagasaki can be done as a day trip but it's 2 hours each way and day light is very short in January - get an early morning start. There are a number of good places to see.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-gbw2yXNLK92siHyNqSNx...
Be sure to try the chanpon and saraudon for lunch or dinner.

For your Day 8, it probably won't take a full day for the Tosu outlet, and you really shouldn't miss the Nanzoin Temple which is about 20 minutes by train from Hakata Stn - one of Japan's very best and an unknown jewel to most.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4VQFmHFyM
It's free and open 24/7, so it's easy to fit in your schedule.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/11/21 15:21
Thank you Ken for your insights. Really appreciate it.

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/12/2 17:33
I was wondering if the Karato Ichiba fish market at Shimonoseki is ok to visit on a Tues, as the sushi stalls only open on weekends. What is there to see and eat on a weekday? Or should I rebook my hotels to change my visit to weekend which will take quite a hassle?

Re: Kyushu in end January 2017 2016/12/20 17:01
Hi, where can I buy the All Kyushu pass for 5 days? Can I get it at Hakata station? Thanks

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread