Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jigokudani monkey park. Worth it? 2016/10/5 18:39
We have 1 free day in Nagano in late November and I'm considering a trip to Jigokudani monkey park. I've read conflicting accounts though and wondering what your thoughts are. I've been to the monkey park in Arashiyama and enjoyed that but maybe this is very similar? Can anyone suggest an alternative day trip? Would appreciate hearing your views.
by Ben (guest)  

Re: Jigokudani monkey park. Worth it? 2016/10/6 10:17
The monkeys at Jigokudani are in the onsen, and will probably be happily bathing in late November, so yeah, I'd say its definitely a unique thing! There may not be snow at that time, which is when the monkeys are most picturesque, but even then I really like them. You could combine with Zenkouji Temple in Nagano City for a full-day experience, or hang out at the onsens (no monkeys in those!) near Jigokudani.

An alternate day trip suggestion might depend on what else you're doing on your trip, and what you like, so I wouldn't venture to make a recommendation without some extra information.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani monkey park. Worth it? 2016/10/6 10:19
Here's a great website about the monkey park, how to access it and what you can do around the area: http://www.snowmonkeyresorts.com/

It would make a fun day trip, certainly, but it won't be at its best; it is most picturesque in winter when there is snow (January-March). It might be cold enough in November that the monkeys go into the hot springs without encouragement.

There are onsen in the area that you could visit afterward.

Another day trip option could be Matsumoto.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani monkey park. Worth it? 2016/10/6 11:10
You've reassured me - thank you. We've planned a visit to the Zenkouji Temple for the previous afternoon, and will keep Matsumoto up our sleeve in case of bad weather.

Do you think that we could combine a visit to the monkey park with a stop in Obuse? Would that be worthwhile?

Thanks again for your help!
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread