Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Fish Market 2016/10/10 13:41
I will be going tokyo end of November, is it open at that time?
I heard they are moving in November, so just want to make sure if 25-29 November still open to public?

Thanks!
by Jas663  

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2016/10/10 22:15
The move has been postponed until next year, and they should be open everyday during your visit except the 27th:

http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp/etc/calendar/2016.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2016/10/10 22:59
No closing reason now as moving to Toyosu(new market location).
But no official new schedule announcement until today.
Still fighting at Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly .
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201610080040.html

So will be same market calender or not is no exact.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2016/10/10 23:37
Note that the Inner Market (where chefs shop for fish) isn't open to the public until 10am.

The more interesting Outer Market, which is popular with local consumers and also restaurants, gets going at around 5am though: http://whereintokyo.com/venues/25123.html
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji markets 2016/10/11 00:52
The so-called outer market in Tsukiji will remain in November.

Regarding Tsukiji Wholesale Market, the situation is still fluid.

The move has been postponed until next year,
and they should be open everyday during your visit except the 27th:

No; we cannot say clearly whether the market will be even in the next month.
The relocation was postponed de facto indefinitely, not surely until next year.

http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp/etc/calendar/2016.html

Currently on that calendar, the postponement is not reflected.
(You see marks which indicate that Tsukiji Market is, as was formerly scheduled just before the opening in Toyosu, to be closed on the 4th and the 5th of November 2016.)

In August 2016, the newly appointed Tokyo Metropolitan Governor postponed the relocation planned in November of Tsukiji Wholesale Market to Toyosu, mainly because the date of the opening in Toyosu was set earlier than a result of the scientific monitoring research would come out.
Later in September, it was revealed that the metropolitan government had been making a wrong explanation for the construction and the structure of the new marketplace in Toyosu.

So, how the market should be is now a very controversial issue.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2016/10/11 01:22
Thanks all!

I will go on 28/11 then.
Likely going to the outer market, it seems a lot of good food there:)
by Jas663 rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2016/10/11 08:57
No; we cannot say clearly whether the market will be even in the next month.
The relocation was postponed de facto indefinitely, not surely until next year.

By virtue of the "de facto indefinite postponement" we can say pretty definitively that Tsukiji Market will remain at its current location, well indefinitely. Specifically November should be safe to plan for unless Tokyo does a drastic and unexpected 180 turn to go back to the original move date, but the latest news indicates the opposite.

TLDR, the situation should be treated as business as usual until further notice.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market 2016/10/12 11:35
As yllwsmrf indicates, it will be a while before the move takes place. The new Governor of Tokyo is in the middle of a lot of turmoil (not her fault, really, as far as I can tell) because of concerns about toxic waste at the new site. Probably more than you want to know!

I will be going back to Japan next autumn and I bet Tsukiji will still be there. The outer market is great!

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

reply to this thread