Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Alcohol in Japanese Food 2016/10/12 12:13
Someone in my group can't have alcohol in food (even though, yes I know its cooked off) so I was wondering what foods don't have alcohol in them or at if there would be absolutely no taste of alcohol. Ty
by Yona hime (guest)  

Re: Alcohol in Japanese Food 2016/10/12 15:56
i recommend to ask the chef. this is the only save way.
generally japanese food does not contain that much alkohol, if you not consider mirin
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Alcohol in Japanese Food 2016/10/12 17:06
In fact, most Japanese recipes include alcohol in the preparation process. Be sure to notify the chef before ordering.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Alcohol in Japanese Food 2016/10/13 08:45
What are the limits of this person's dietary restriction? If they absolutely cannot have alcohol then they'll have to be very careful what they eat. If it's a matter of flavor, the taste of alcohol in most Japanese dishes is practically undetectable. There are a few traditional dishes with pronounced alcohol in them (narazuke for example), but those are often quite obvious from their aroma.

generally japanese food does not contain that much alkohol, if you not consider mirin

Not sure why you would exclude mirin considering it contains alcohol and is used extensively in Japanese cooking.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Alcohol in Japanese Food 2016/10/13 11:35
Since the OP mentioned "yes I know its cooked off", I assumed the person is similar to an infant who should avoid any alcoholic contents whatsoever. Like I said, that's easy to avoid as long as you make it clear before they start cooking.

The person who mentioned mirin meant that "mirin contains alcohol, but other than mirin, Japanese cuisine hardly contains alchohol" which is not true at all.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Alcohol in Japanese Food 2016/10/13 11:43
a lot of common japanese dishes have sake and mirin in them. all with basics of alcohol in them. although cooked out and non alcohol taste.

i wouldn't even attempt to suggest/recommend dishes that were alcohol free.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Alcohol in Japanese Food 2016/10/13 17:42
Since the OP mentioned "yes I know its cooked off", I assumed the person is similar to an infant who should avoid any alcoholic contents whatsoever.

This question is also commonly asked with regards to religious dietary restrictions. What was unusual about the question is them asking about foods that may have alcohol in them but without the accompanying taste, which I would say is most Japanese food. I think we still need clarification from the OP if we're gonna give more specific advice.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread