Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu itinerary 2016/10/14 04:17
Hello and thanks for reading my post. I have been revising my Shikoku-Kyushu itinerary, particularly the Kyushu section, and could really use some help now. This trip begins and ends in Tokyo as my travel companions wish to spend time there on arrival and departure. We will be using JR pass (14 days all of Japan) and will travel in July 2017. This will be our 4th trip to Japan but first to Shikoku-Kyushu.

Arrive Tokyo for 4 nights.

Tokyo to Takamatsu ( begin use of JR pass) on overnight train for 3 nights including day trips to Naoshima and Kotohira.

Takamatsu to Nagasaki for 3 nights (7.5hours) including day trip to battleship island.

Nagasaki to Kumamoto (3 hours) for 1 night.

Kumamoto to Mt Aso (if possible) by Kyushu Odan Bus in early morning (1.5 hours) then on to Kurakowa Onsen on Kyushu Odan Bus mid-afternoon (1 hour) for 2 nights.

Kurakowa Onsen to Beppu on Kyushu Odan Bus mid afternoon (2 hours) for overnight ferry to Osaka then on to Kyoto for 3 nights with day trip to do Magome - Tsumago walk - possible to do this as day trip?

Return to Tokyo for 1 night and departure or possibly direct to departure.

Thanks for all recommendations and feedback, most appreciated.
by Sarahbench  

Re: Help with Kyushu itinerary most appreciated 2016/10/14 11:21
Looks fine to me.

Currently Asosan is not accessible. But since you are traveling in July new year. That could change by then.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Help with Kyushu itinerary most appreciated 2016/10/14 17:49
Your itinerary looks great!

Are you staying in two different ryokans when in Kurokawa? That's what I'd do, just for the sake of variety in bathing and food. I'd maybe stay in one which is right in the village, and one which is out of the village.

One alternative would be to get off the train at Okayama, have breakfast, and go for a quick tour of Kenrokuen (which opens early http://www.kanazawa-tourism.com/eng/guide/guide1_1.php ), and then go to Naoshima from Okayama. You could then leave Naoshima and get the ferry straight to Takamatsu.

You would miss out on getting the train over the Seto bridge, which I've never done but I bet the views would be fantastic.

However, I think you would hardly lose any time in your visit to Naoshima (you'd have to check the ferry times to be sure of that), and you would have the advantage of seeing the fantastic garden at Okayama.

I assume you'll go to the garden in Takamatsu while you're there (it's well worth it), and imho it's interesting to see both gardens as they are both really good and also offer a contrast.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Help with Kyushu itinerary most appreciated 2016/10/24 01:22
Many thanks hakata14 and Winter Visitor! I will review Okayama - Naoshimi - Takamatsu. The reason I chose to stay in Takamatsu is to avoid having to change accommodation everyday but I like your ideas, Sarah.
by Sarahbench (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread