Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Oki islands to Matsue etc 2016/10/23 23:47
Hi.
I intend to visit OKi islands in mid-June.
Would like to visit Matsue and the surrounding areas after that as our ferry will bring us back to Yonago area where we intend to spend a few days exploring the area.
Any suggestions ?
Is Matsue followed by Tottori a good idea ?
Any other off the beaten track spots that we should not miss ?

Is Mt. Daisen worth visiting if we are not hiking up the mountain ?
Am with parents, so can only do short and relatively easy walks.

Our final stop for the trip is Osaka.

Thanks.
by lifesucketh  

Re: Oki islands to Matsue etc 2016/10/25 16:11
Havenft been to Oki Islands, but just came back from a roadtrip to Matsue, Daisen, Yonago, Tottori City.

Matsue is a nice little city surrounded by Lake Shinji. Besides the lake and the onsens around it, there are also many cultural and historical sights like the Matsue Castle. Most attractions are easily accessible by public transport. There is a very good Tourist Information Centre at Matsue Station which you can approach for help and advice. More info here: http://www.visit-matsue.com/

The scenery around Mt Daisen is gorgeous. Even though we also did not hike up the mountain, I still enjoyed the visit very much. There are very good views of Daisen when we were driving up and we stayed at sweet little pension there (there are many of such accommodation in Daisen). Some of the places I went to include the following, but they are only accessible by car:

Masumizu Plateau – -there is a chairlift that takes you 900m up the mountain in under 10 mins.
http://www.masumizu.net/english/

Milk no Sato – a cow ranch that sells milk, icecream and other dairy products
http://www.yonago-navi.jp/en/yonago/outskirts/daisen/sightseeing/miruk...
by abbles (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oki islands to Matsue etc 2016/10/25 18:23
Beside Matsue, you can also go to Izumo Taisha, it is quite nice. Nearby you can also visit the Adachi Museum of Art. It has an exquisite garden. It is not very well-known because it was created recently, but is definitively worth it.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Oki islands to Matsue etc 2016/10/30 23:09
Thank you very much for the response.

I will for sure include a visit to Masumizu Plateau and the dairy farm.
Presumably both places are nearby ?
Masumizu seems like a nice spot to see Mt Daisen.

- is mid-June a wet season in Matsue and Tottori areas ?

am thinking of picking up a rental car at Matsue and drive to Tottori and then on to Amanohashidate before returning the car at Fukuchiyama.
- are there any other sights to see along the way besides those mentioned in the previous threads ?
Will include the Tottori sand dunes.

- which route should we take for a scenic drive ?

- does anyone know of a reasonably priced car rental company that has locations in Matsue and Fukuchiyama ?
I tried Toyota but their prices are rather steep.

- if we are not hiking up Mt Daisen, is it still worthwhile to drive to Daisenji temple ? Any views to be had there ?
I see a Kagikake pass near Mt Daisen on the map in the japan-guide site.
Is this pass worth a drive pass for views ?

Thank you in advance.
by lifesucketh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread