Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen rails near each other at Tokyo? 2016/10/24 14:28
Ok, here's a question about Tokyo Station, and Shinkansen platform layout. This will be our second trip to Japan.
We have a long travel day from Kusastu-onsen to Kyoto, and there are two trains options.
The first is a Limited into Ueno (one train convenience), but then we have to transfer to Tokyo, then wheelie over to the Kyoto Shinkansen Platform.
OR, we take a local train to Takasaki, board the Max Toki and ride it right into Tokyo station. This option SEEMS more user friendly, (i.e. platform to platform) but I don't know, and I'm asking :-)
Are Shinkansen platforms more-or-less near each other at Tokyo (and other stations)?
NOTE: Believe it or not, with either option travel time is the same!!
Thanks for the Station help!
by luvsdaheat  

Re: Shinkansen rails near each other at Tokyo? 2016/10/24 14:52
Both options will have 2 transfers. So it wont matter what you do. One has and easier transfer at Takasaki, and the other an easier transfer at Tokyo. The transfers will require some navigation up/down overhead bridges or underpasses etc.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen rails near each other at Tokyo? 2016/10/24 14:55

If I were you I would take the LTD. EXP KUSATSU 2 from NAGANOHARAKUSATSUGUCHI to Takasaki and Shinkansen to Tokyo, especially if you have JR Pass.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen rails near each other at Tokyo? 2016/10/24 15:01
Get the MaxToki and that way you can just transfer from the north shinkansen track section to the Tokaido shinkansen more easily at Tokyo. The lines are closer together, but grouped into those heading south and the others heading west and north.

Changing at Ueno and then at Tokyo sounds irritating because it will take longer walking around those stations for transfers than the trip between Ueno and Tokyo.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen rails near each other at Tokyo? 2016/10/24 15:40

The Takasaki's tansfer is definetely a lot easier and quicker:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e934.html
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen rails near each other at Tokyo? 2016/10/24 16:43
Thanks everyone for such fast replies, especially JapanCustom Tours - you nailed it! Nothing worse than endless trudging through a station with wheelies... those (sight-impaired) bumps 'grenaded' my last carry-on the very first day of our last trip!
I had remembered how to get from our Ryokan back to Tokyo. I just couldn't recall whether different Shinkansen companies "docked" near each other - Joetsu by Tokaido in this case - and if Ueno 'might' make it easier, which it obviously is not!
So, local to Takasaki, Max Toki to Tokyo, then Hikari to Kyoto. Thank you, all!

btw, 14 day JR Passes Rock!
by luvsdaheat rate this post as useful

reply to this thread