Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/25 17:31
I'm planning a trip to Japan for 2 weeks, and I was wondering whether it was worth going down to Nagasaki?

So far my (tentative) itinerary is:

Tokyo-Osaka-Hiroshima

I've been to Kyoto before, and I think that I won't go back this trip.

Is it worth the travel time/money to go down to Kyushu and stay a few days in Nagasaki? Or would I be better off finding another place to visit between either Tokyo and Osaka or Osaka and Hiroshima?
by arabee398  

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/25 17:43
Fukuoka is a much better choice, with more to see, better food, and nicer people. It's easier to get to as well.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/25 18:15
I wouldn't venture into Kyushu less you are going to a few destinations. eg Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Beppu etc. Due to time taken to travel to etc.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/25 18:23
I liked Nagasaki, but is has more of a small town feel to it.
I think that with 1 or 1,5 day you have pretty much covered it.
So I won't go out of your way for it but if you are in the area a visit is nice.

I was there for a video reportage, you can view it here if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VvyrqQenx4

I liked Gunkanjima Island and the Dutch hill a lot.
by Iris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/26 07:16
I love Nagasaki (indeed I think all of the places I've visited on Kyūshū were fantastic), but I agree with the thoughts expressed above: given your current itinerary it seems a bit of a stretch to venture that far off track just for one city.

If you can spare maybe 6-7 days, minimum - I'd set aside more time if possible - then you can tack on northern Kyūshū to that itinerary, visiting such places as Fukuoka and Saga and so forth in addition to Nagasaki (I'd recommend Kumamoto as well but some key attractions like the castle haven't been fully restored yet after this year's quake). It's not enough time for an in-depth experience, but it's good for a very brief taste and will likely entice you to come back in the future, as it has in my case haha.

But if you can't spare enough time, then perhaps you'd be better off dropping Nagasaki for now and saving Kyūshū for a future trip.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/26 10:10
I wouldnt go back to Nagasaki. It is very grimy, smoggy and industrial (similar to Hiroshima I suppose) although there are some nice areas and the food and people are nice. If you were in Kyushu it would be worth a visit, but I wouldnt make a special trip.

I would mention though I am no good with heights and Nagasaki is just one steep, high place after another, so maybe that coloured my opinion a little.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/26 11:34
You just described many popular Japanese cities. haha

Your description is probably the most negative one I have ever heard of Nagasaki before. Most come away happy.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/26 13:23
hmmm, come to think of it, I dont like any city whether in Japan or out of it.

I loved the Nagasaki BioPark though - I'd go back there for sure.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/26 13:23

It is very grimy, smoggy and industrial

Nagasaki may not be as pretty as Kyoto, or as "cosmopolitan" as Tokyo. But to describe it as "very grimy, smoggy and industrial", IMO, could do a disservice to the city.
I visited Nagasaki and surrounding twice during my many visits to Japan, and never did I leave with any negative impression.
If you could allocate 2 nights in the city, I would not hesitate to recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0A7eykYe44
by Shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/26 19:15
I regard Nagasaki as Japan's most unique city. No city of similar (relatively small) size has such a moved history as Nagasaki. If you are interested in Japanese history, a visit is a must. Otherwise, maybe not.

And I am not talking about the atomic bomb. It is much more the city's position as the major entry point of foreign trade to a country closed to most foreign trade that has made it very unique. The impact of Chinese traders, the Dutch and others, as well as its importance before the Meiji Restoration are extremely exciting to people interested in Japanese history.

In addition, it was a hotbed of Christian missionaries which can add an additional perspective if that topic interests you.

And, of course, there is the atomic bomb, as well.

I feel no city in the country feels more unique than Nagasaki.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is Nagasaki worth visiting 2016/10/26 23:21
Thanks everyone for your answers!
After giving it some thought, I agree with many of you that it's probably too much to go to Nagasaki in the time frame that I have. I'll probably stick to finding somewhere else to visit in Honshu.
Thanks again!
by arabee398 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread