Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice on Train use (Tokyo & Osaka) 2016/10/26 13:51
I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to do the following 14 days using various rail passes. I'm all over the map and could use some advice.

Maybe a regional pass for Tokyo and Kansai, but pay separately for the shinkansen between Tokyo & Osaka?

d1 Tokyo & area
d2 Tokyo & area
d3 Tokyo & area
d4 Tokyo to Hakone
d5 Hakone to Osaka
d6 Osaka & area
d7 Osaka & area
d8 Osaka & area
d9 Osaka & area
d10 Osaka to Koyasan
d11 Koyasan to Osaka
d12 Osaka to Tokyo
d13 Tokyo & area
d14 Tokyo & area

Thoughts?

Thanks!
by banmanb2 (guest)  

Re: Advice on Train use (Tokyo & Osaka) 2016/10/27 07:33
For Hakone, purchase the Hakone FreePass from Odawara Station - this will cover transport within Hakone.

For Koyasan, purchase the World Heritage Pass.

For Osaka and Tokyo, what pass you choose (if any) will depend on where you go. If you just stick to the city, a pass is unlikely to be necessary. If you go on day trips, a pass might be worthwhile - check the list of rail passes on this website.

You will need to get yourself an IC card - a reloadable public transport card - for all transport not covered by a pass. The one you purchase in Tokyo (a Suica or PASMO) will also work in the Kansai area.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on Train use (Tokyo & Osaka) 2016/10/27 13:24
You rock sq - thanks!
by banmanb2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on Train use (Tokyo & Osaka) 2016/10/27 13:37
Are you also planning on taking train from Hakone and Osaka? From Odawara, there is a night bus going to Osaka. Most probably it will save you from accommodation cost.

For Osaka going to Tokyo, are planning to purchase shinkansen ride? What time of the day do you plan to go back to Tokyo? Again there is a night bus from Osaka to Tokyo. Shinkansen would do as well to save you time.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on Train use (Tokyo & Osaka) 2016/10/27 13:46
Hey stikiting,

I'm looking to take the Shinkansen from Odawara to Osaka and the shinkansen back (Osaka to Tokyo) - morning trips around 8 or 9 am.

I love the shinkansen too much to pass up a ride on it!

Thank you!

by stikiting
by banmanb2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread