Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto area on a Sunday after 4pm 2016/10/27 06:23
Any suggestions on what to see or do within Kyoto area after 4pm on a Sunday mid-April 2017. I plan on leaving Tokyo mid-morning and after checking hyperdia I should arrive before 3pm. My hotel is within 5 min walking distance from Kyoto Station and I believe check in is at 3p also. I'm sure there will be a line during that time so after checking in and putting my things away in my room I "should" be out around 4pm but hoping by 330p.

I did check out some of the sites (Temples/Shrines/shops/markets/etc) but some are closed on Sundays or close around 4/5pm. There's few that closes at 6pm. I'm not sure if I will be able to make those places before taking in last entrance. Some of the places have special night viewing but I believe by the time I go they won't have them anymore.

One option - visit Kiyomizu-dera Temple (as of April 2016's schedule was 6a-630p, assuming 2017 is the same). Should I bother visiting for dusk/sunset viewing? Originally was planning on going very early in the morning on one of the following days on a revised version of the Eastern Kyoto full day Itinerary suggested on this site. If doing the dusk/sunset option I will then head back to Kyoto Station area and go to Kyoto Tower before heading back to hotel.

Second option - Go to Takashimaya, Pontocho District then to Kyoto Station and Tower.

Third option - go to Fushimi Inari-taisha then to Kyoto Station/Tower.

Fourth option - just roam around in Kyoto Station/Tower area.

I would like to do some site seeing if possible to lessen "sites" on other days so I can spend more time at other places.

I know it's early but I just like to have a temporary itinerary laid out so I don't waste my time (I may not have the time to research and plan out my trip several weeks or maybe month or 2 before I fly out)

Any of the options doable or no? Any suggestions. Thanks.
by hibell77  

Re: Kyoto area on a Sunday after 4pm 2016/10/27 13:50
Fishimi Inari has no closing time. And if you go later in the day like you are, you will get to see a sunset from the top of the hill.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto area on a Sunday after 4pm 2016/10/27 15:47
You should definitely bother Kiyomizudera for sunset viewing. It is actually pretty famous for exactly that activity.
Fushimi Inari is also a really good suggestion!
by EvilKneavel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto area on a Sunday after 4pm 2016/10/27 17:04
@hakata14 and @EvilKneavel

Thanks!

I'm actually deciding between one of those places (Fushimi Inari & Kiyomizudera). I've seen sunset pictures of both locations and I'm sure those pics do not do justice if viewing it in person.

As of now, I'll plan it for Fushimi Inari since there is no closing time. This gives me leeway if I'm running late.

If everything goes as plan with good timing (out by 4p) then I would head out to Kiyomizudera.

I'll just make couple itineraries for both options.

How crowded will it be during late afternoon/early evening at both locations? I've read somewhere that the crowd lessens as the day ends.
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto area on a Sunday after 4pm 2016/10/27 17:12
If I was to do one in the evening and one on another day. I'd do Fishimi Inari n the evening.

Kiyomizudera is part of the Higashiyama area. So if you did that, you'd still have to return again to the same area again to finished seeing the sights.

Also Fishimi Inari is well linked using a JR line direct. So if you maybe become time poor towards the evening, this will help a lot.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread