Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji wholesale market dead at 11:30? 2016/11/2 13:15
Hi there. We went to tsukiji wholesale at 9:30 and there people there told us that we can only come in at 10:00, we went from there to the outer market and came back at 11:30 only to find out that it's completely dead. Everything was closed... So are all the stands really working at 10 am? Because I would like to go there...
by Gal Kimhi (guest)  

Re: Tsukiji wholesale market dead at 11:30? 2016/11/2 17:17
It is an early morning market. Say 5am.

9:30 or 11:30 is way too late. Everyone would have packed up and gone home by then.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji wholesale market dead at 11:30? 2016/11/2 17:19
Oops, just relized you mentioned "wholesale."

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

The info here suggests the whole area is open after 10am to tourists. Clearly the wholesale areas isn't the same as the fast paced auction area in the morning.

Probably good to follow the details in the guide and aim for the morning auctions.

Re: Tsukiji wholesale market dead at 11:30? 2016/11/2 17:29
Hi

does it make sense if I am going around 6am as a tourist but not going for the auction. Will it be opened ?
by kongdino rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji wholesale market dead at 11:30? 2016/11/2 18:05
Did you read the response before yours or click the link provided?

Re: Tsukiji wholesale market dead at 11:30? 2016/11/2 18:30
The guide itself doesn't provide a clear answer... From your experience, is 10 am a reasonable time to come to the wholesale market?
by Gal Kimhi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji wholesale market dead at 11:30? 2016/11/3 01:42
You can see a little bit of the wholesale market, and get a little bit of the feel, at 10am, but unless you're actually buying fish wholesale, it's somebody else's workplace, and it's not their responsibility to entertain tourists. I imagine that you'd be surprised if thousands of tourists started showing up at your workplace during the working day and getting in your way when you were trying to work.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji wholesale market dead at 11:30? 2016/11/3 09:51
"tourists are not allowed into the wholesale area before 10am"

Seems pretty clear to me. And yes, 10 is a best time to go as there will still be some action going on as the stalls start to wind down for the day. As you've seen, it wraps up pretty quickly from there as the stalls start to clean up and shut down.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread