Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is the JR Pass worth it? 2016/11/10 08:58
Hello,

I am travelling to Japan and was wondering if it is worth getting the JR Pass for 7 days?

I will be flying in Kansai Airport and leaving from Haneda Airport.

Here is my itinerary:
Begin Kansai Airport
- Osaka to Kyoto
(possibly make a day trip to Nara)
- Kyoto to Tokyo
- Tokyo to Jigokudani Monkey Park in Yamanouchi, Nagano
- Snow Monkey Park back to Tokyo
End Haneda Airport

Would it be more worth it to get the JR Pass or just buy single trip passes? Which is more cost efficient?

I'm not exactly sure how the transportation system works or the JR Pass works, so I was hoping you will have more knowledge of it.

Thank you all for your help!
by melken  

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it? 2016/11/10 11:37
It's not obvious (to me, at least) whether it would be worth it with that itinerary. You can use one of a number of sites/apps (Hyperdia, Google Maps, etc) to look up what the individual ticket prices would be, and compare that to the pass price. If they're similar, the pass does have a convenience advantage.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it? 2016/11/10 13:15
Use this calculator: http://www.aoimirai.net/japan/jrpass_calculator.html

Consider seeing the snow monkeys on the way from Kansai to Tokyo, instead of a day trip from Tokyo.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it? 2016/11/10 14:56
So Kyoto to Tokyo is roughly 14000 yen and roundtrip from Tokyo to Nagano is about 16000 yen. Without considering any local travel, the pass will pay for itself and a tad more from the shinkansen alone. I'd say go for it :)
by calrawrle rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it? 2016/11/11 18:47
7 day pass will save a bit of money (based on a glance at your schedule - it is easy when you do the trains all the time).

However, there are cheaper options if you are on a tight budget.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it? 2016/11/11 19:00

The Hokuriku-arch-pass would be a good option for your trip. And it would be best if you are able to visit the Snow Monkey park from Kyoto.

http://hokuriku-arch-pass.com/en/
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it? 2016/11/30 07:45
Thank you all for the informative responses, I've decided to get the JR Pass since it costs almost the same as if I were to buy separate tickets. And there is the added convenience with the pass.

(Also to those who were wondering, I cannot go from Kyoto straight to Snow Monkey Park due to scheduling conflicts (the time and duration it takes vs going from Tokyo), and it also seemed like an easier route to go from Tokyo. Thanks.)
by melken rate this post as useful

Re: Is the JR Pass worth it? 2016/12/1 21:01
don't activate JR pass on osaka-kyoto trip. it's a waste.
osaak to kyoto only cost less than 1000 yen.
it's better if u're started to activate it at kyoto-tokyo trip.
by shintaWD rate this post as useful

reply to this thread