Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido for a first timer (with young kids) 2016/11/10 18:11
Hi,

Is it possible to explore the Hokkaido and the surrounding without even knowing the language? We will be travelling with 2 kids (2yo + 4yo) mostly by self-driving.

I heard from my colleague that it is harder compared to the main city like Tokyo as there are more English used compared to here.

If it is possible, could you please suggest roughly how many day is sufficient to cover the main part in Hokkaido like Sapporo, Otaru, Asahikawa etc. Preferably to be less than 10 days.

I will appreciate a sample itinerary if it is available for me.

Thanks in advance.
by Renee (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido for a first timer (with young kids) 2016/11/11 12:49
When?
You have studying basic Japanese also finding travel reports time enough.
http://www.hkd.mlit.go.jp/topics/toukei/chousa/h20keikaku/e/e_all.pdf
http://www.northern-road.jp/navi/eng/index.htm

Mostly possible but if serious problem happened what you can?
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=travel+japanese+phrases&sp=CAI%253D
by mcs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido for a first timer (with young kids) 2016/11/11 13:03
Hi!
Yes you can. We did 2-weeks Hokkaido with our 2 young kids as well last year. Self-drive and didn't know the language.

Absolutely do-able if you do plenty of research (plan your itinerary in detail, down to where to visit, the addr and tel and specific driving directions - use google map) and get a GPS.

We did face some language barrier at one or two hotels but the jap staff are generally so friendly that you won't feel bad, cos they will try their best to assist. At most just draw pics, or use hand signs!
by Jools (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido for a first timer (with young kids) 2016/11/11 13:18
Thanks mcs and Jools for the quick response.

@Jools, if I were to plan only like 7 days, will it be too rush for us to enjoy at least the basic(main attraction) in Hokkaido? Do you mind to share with me your itinerary as well? Much appreciated it!
by Renee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido for a first timer (with young kids) 2016/11/11 13:23
Btw @Jools, when were your Hokkaido trip? I plan to go during the spring season (end April 2017).
by Renee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido for a first timer (with young kids) 2016/11/11 15:45
Hi there!

Here is my basic itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive at Sapporo, pick up car and drove to Tomamu (we wanted to see the Unkai Terrace there, but actually nothing much there. So I think can skip this area).

Day 2: Tomamu to Akan

Day 3: Akan National Park. Drive to Shiretoko.

Day 4: Shiretoko National Park

Day 5: Shiretoko to Sounkyo

Day 6: Sounkyo / Daisetsuzan National Park

Day 7: Sounkyo to Biei / Asahiyama Zoo

Day 8: Tour Furano/Biei

Day 9: Biei to Sapporo

Day 10: Otaru

Day 11: Sapporo (if you drive, you must visit Takino Suzuran Hillside National Park - it's fantastic for kids!)

Day 12: Home

As you can see from my itinerary, we travelled quite a bit across Hokkaido (to Shiretoko area). If you don't wish to travel so much, you can just do Furano/Biei area. And we spent only the last 3 days in Sapporo/Otaru. Cos we don't really like city areas - my young kids don't really like shopping! I'm sure you can understand that :)

We were there end Jun/early Jul.

Hope this help!
by Jools (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread