Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

SIM Compatibility with US Bandwidths 2016/11/12 10:25
Hello,

First off, thank you for all the helpful advice I have gotten from this site and these forums. I have checked several sites but have not seen this info regarding SIM compatibility in Japan. If I purchase a Docomo SIM card, would it be compatible with my CDMA-based LG Volt? In the US, I get 3G but never LTE (but I think that's due to my geographical area, not the capability of the phone).

I saw that most modern smartphones are compatible with Japan's networks, but I also saw that it must have LTE Band 1 (2100 MHz), which is not listed under my phone specs at:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Volt_id8653
I also saw that 800 MHz for CDMA helps in rural areas, which my phone does have. I plan to travel to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Takayama, Hiroshima, and Fuji Five Lakes regions.

Is there anyway to confirm that the phone will work with the SIM before I pre-buy the card? I only ask because I wouldn't want to get to Japan to find that it doesn't work and have to spend time looking for another SIM.

Thanks!
by JPVisitor (guest)  

Re: SIM Compatibility with US Bandwidths 2016/11/14 15:51
This phone will almost certainly not work. It supports only a small number of 4G bands, none of which are used in Japan. And its 3G support is for CDMA only, no it will not work on the GSM 3G used in Japan, either.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: SIM Compatibility with US Bandwidths 2016/11/15 02:52
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to clarify, as I looked into the b-mobile visitor SIM, which states the following requirements must be met:

1) Unlocked
2) Support one of the following frequency
LTE Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz), Band 21 (1500MHz)
W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz)

Wouldn't my phone satisfy the Band 19 CDMA requirement for 3G? Am I missing something?

I can borrow a friend's phone just to be safe, but they use a different SIM size (nano) so I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks so much for your help!
by JPVisitor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread