Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 14:11
Hello,

I was born in Japan but moved to California with my family as a child. My family has since moved back to Tokyo. I recently obtained US citizenship, but my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and I've decided to move back to Japan to be with my family. Im 27 and I have a valid Japanese and US passport and have not told Japan that I obtained US citizenship. This is my primary concern with moving back. I can enter Japan with my Japanese passport, but if I ever want to reside in the US again, should I leave the country with my US passport? Or will that raise a red flag? And if I enter the US with the Japanese passport, they'll think I'm a tourist and question how long I plan on staying for, etc.

Also as a side tangent, am I better off trying to find a job as a Japanese citizen for a Japanese company or should I apply as a US citizen and ask for sponsorship? I heard American or international companies tend to pay more than Japanese companies so I'm wondering if I should apply to those instead of a Japanese company.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
by Amanda (guest)  

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 15:37
You must use your Japanese passport to enter and exit Japan, and your US passport to enter and exit the US.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 16:32
Same advice for a job - in Japan, use your Japanese nationality, but there is no harm in your employer knowing of your US ctizenship. And likewise for jobs in the US. If a company books your international flights and obtains visas for travel, they will need this information.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 19:05
It is not as easy as it looks Firas. Imagine she comes to Japan and show her Japanese passport at immigration gate, the officer will check the passport but will probably notice that although she was in the United States she does not have any US immigration stamp inside, no entry visa no exit stamp.

He/she might think the passport holder has also a US passport...see what I mean?
by Miki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 19:30
the officer will check the passport but will probably notice that although she was in the United States she does not have any US immigration stamp inside, no entry visa no exit stamp.

Maybe; and how is that a problem?

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 19:33
@Miki... There is no downside to following the law on entering and leaving the US and Japan. Carry both passports, use them as necessary, and all is well. On the other hand, not doing so can have nasty consequences.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 20:02
I have a valid Japanese and US passport

No, you don't have a valid Japanese passport. It became invalid the moment you became an American. That's how the Japanese law works.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 20:23
Nonsense.

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/18 22:10
It is not as easy as it looks Firas. Imagine she comes to Japan and show her Japanese passport at immigration gate, the officer will check the passport but will probably notice that although she was in the United States she does not have any US immigration stamp inside, no entry visa no exit stamp.

And wont do anything about it, if they even bother to think that far. Which they wont, because they don't care.

It became invalid the moment you became an American. That's how the Japanese law works.

Maybe in theory. But in practice? It's definitely a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/11/19 00:30
. (guest) is correct.
ask immigration lawyers, if you doubt.

第十一条 日本国民は、自己の志望によつて外国の国籍を取得したときは、日本の国籍を失う。
Article 11 (1) If a Japanese citizen acquires the nationality of a foreign country at his/her choice, he/she loses Japanese nationality.

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/12/15 00:18
I totally agree with Ken and .(guest).
Leaving us with us passport and rntereing Japan with Japan passport is what dual nationality people aged 21 and under do.

I guess you understand Japanese, right?
Please reffer to this.
http://www.moj.go.jp/MINJI/minji06.html
by May (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/12/15 00:58
I'm interested to know what dual nationality people OVER the age of 22 do... especially when their Japanese passport is up for renewal.

Anyone here with experience / knowledge of this?
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/12/15 06:25
Whatever they do, they are doing something that is illegal
It's like doing a crime and thinking nobody would know it, you may never get caught but imagine if someone reports you or you get caught there would be consequences
If you want to take that risk go ahead and keep 2 nationality
by Zzzz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/12/15 07:38
@Saru Bob

There are two different issues here.

1. Amanda is not a dual national. She is legally not Japanese because she lost it when she chose to get US citizenship. In her case, she cannot renew her Japanese passport without lying and breaking the law (punishable by fines or jail time). She cannot renew it in the US because they will check her residency and get caught. She has to fly back to Japan to renew.

2. If Amanda was born in the US to Japanese parents, then she would actually be a dual national. In this case, regardless of her age, she can renew her passport even if she told the truth about her US citizenship. This is because she would be legally Japanese. She can renew her passport anywhere.

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/12/15 10:37
'm interested to know what dual nationality people OVER the age of 22 do... especially when their Japanese passport is up for renewal.

They go to the embassy and get it renewed as usual. The US embassies, at least the one in Seattle, do not ask questions. They just renew the passport.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maintaining dual citizenship? 2016/12/15 20:08
and this is why the leader of the opposition party had so much drama over her "dual" citizenship because she did not choose one (and only one) as required by law (excepting the other issues involved)

topical and relevant news in Japan
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread