Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass route question 2016/11/21 19:20
Hi,

I want to visit Shirakawa-go on February. I will purchase the JR pass and round trip ticket by bus to Shirakawa-go from Takayama.

I'm departing from Kyoto, and I checked the route through hyperdia as below:
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KYOTO&arv_node=TAK...

If I take the first entry that departs at 22:18 and arrive at 07:30, which trains should I pay for the ticket that is not covered by JR pass?

Cheers.
by Ray (guest)  

Re: JR Pass route question 2016/11/22 10:34
You realize you'll have to sleep in Minoota? The train station is closed until 5am.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass route question 2016/11/22 12:36
Yes, I would consider that if all the train tickets are covered by JR pass.
by Ray (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass route question 2016/11/22 13:15
Do you need to leave Kyoto that late? What if you left Kyoto earlier, and arrived in Takayama the night before?

e.g. http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KYOTO&arv_node=TAK...
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass route question 2016/11/22 13:52
@sq
I think I found a better and cheaper alternative.
Since my destination is to visit Shirakawa-go, I will go to Kanazawa instead from Kyoto by the morning and take the bus to Shirakawa-go operated buy Nouhi bus.
Anyway, are the routes above (your and my links) covered by the JR pass? I'm just afraid some aren't and I have to buy the ticket and reserver the seat and worst case could ruin my plans.

Re: JR Pass route question 2016/11/22 14:00
That all trains Japan Rail Pass covered
but that sections no operate over night train. (also over night bus)
Already answered above so you will be staying at Mino-Ota.
However, Mino-Ota is not big city
so it may find a good hotel/ryokan bit harder than Kyoyo.

Stay Nagoya(big city like Kyoto) or Gifu(bigger than Mino-Ota)
then take "LtdExp wide view Hida 1" by PASS enough.
https://goo.gl/maps/3LCc8dsAMDp
Arr until 8:00 am is too early also feel very cold by lower temp if coming fr no snow country.
by MAL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass route question 2016/11/22 14:22
The trains all say "JR" in front of them (except for the shinkansen, but they're all run by JR), so yes, they are all covered by the JR Pass.

If you're confused about how to read what companies certain trains belong to in Hyperdia, there is a page on this website that explains the symbols (e.g. the colours of the trains, and what company is what colour).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass route question 2016/11/22 15:58
Awesome! You guys are very helpful, thank you!

Re: JR Pass route question 2016/11/27 14:24
I was there in Shirakawago and Gokayama last 20 Nov 2016.

What I did was sleep at Takaoka instead of either Kanazawa or Takayama. The reasons were due that I don't want to be stressed of reserving the buses from Kanazawa to Shirakawago or Takayama to Shirakawago, I have set myself to visit Gokayama and I can only devote a day or less than that in those places. The Kaetsuno World Heritage Bus (Takaoka-Gokayama-Shirakawago and vice versa) is a first come, first serve ride.

So to say, my best decision ever!

I arrived a day earlier in Takaoka. I went to the bus center in Takaoka beside the Manyosen line and bus station at north exit, to purchase Gokayama-Shirakawago round trip to Takaoka/Johana good for 2 days. The ticket was priced at JPY 3,500 which was a good deal considering the Takaoka to Shirakawago price of JPY 1,800 one way plus the prices of hops on and off in Gokayama.

I took the first trip from Takaoka via JR Johana Line and arrived at around 6:35 in Johana. The first bus was at 7:05 and was a typical city bus. Little did I know that I was the only person who rode the first bus from Johana until I arrived at Shirakawago! Woohoo! More to my amazement was the scenic views going from Johana to Shirakawago! Another 'Aha!' moment for me! I still vividly remember some sceneries because I was filming the ride but then I never did press the 'record' button! What a WTF moment for me!

Another highlight of that trip of mine happened at Johana station. Yes in between the time of 6:35 and 7:05. May Buddha bless the old man and the lady at the tourist information center at Johana. I was near the toilet to transfer water from 2L to 500ml bottle I brought along with me when an old man went out and started speaking to me in nihongo. The old man has this disconcerting air yet cordial at the same time. When I said that I only speak in english, he held his ear for me seemingly surprised and may be because of his old age that we went back and forth few times only for me to reiterate that I only speak in English. I mean I cannot just raise my voice to an old man nor shout to his ear!

The old man went back to his car, then returned to me again while I was still transferring water then uttered nihongo to me and mentioned Gokayama. So the context clues in me said 'Hai! I will go to Gokayama and Shirakawago!' and then old man returned to his car.

I thought he was already going a turn when he suddenly stopped at me then pointing something at the back of his car. Since I cannot understand, such a fortune to have the lady from the tourist info center while cleaning beside the vending machine (near me at bus stop) decided to butt in because I cannot really understand what the old man was saying. Then they conversed and the lady said to me 'You ride! He will (go) to Gokayama!' As in, I was so elated and almost wanted to cry in such unbelievable moment!

However, I cannot explain to them that I have already paid for the bus and that I will mistime my arrival at Takaoka (and at Toyama) later in the afternoon. So I politely declined the offer but then again he really wanted to! We went back and forth again a few times yet I won in the end declining his offer. We both smiled. He grabbed his cigarette and went on his way. The lady returned to his office then went out for me, handed out english brochures. I have been so gratified in that morning!

I apologize but I really wanted to have a venue of my experience especially my interaction with the old man because it really happened!

From riding the 7:05 bus from Johana, I returned by bus as well and arrived at Takaoka bus station at 14:00.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

reply to this thread