Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/11/30 09:41
We will be taking Narita Express to Shinjuku Train Station and will proceed to our hotel in the East side. Can anybody please provide us with directions on where do we walk to from the platform we get off to exit the station from the East side. Thank you.
by Excited with japan trip (guest)  

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/11/30 14:19
by ZS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/11/30 15:28
Visit your hotel website - they might have a section telling you. I stayed at a hotel in Ikebukuro and it had very clear instructions for leaving the station (including platforms for the most popular lines) and getting to the hotel.

Otherwise, make sure you know which exit you need (again, check your hotel website), and then follow the signs inside the station to find the right exit. You might need to consult larger information boards inside the station. It's a big station, but stay calm and patient and you'll be fine. You can also ask for help from attendants, and more than likely if you look lost a nice local will help you!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/11/30 17:36
Apologies I should have made myself clearer.
I need help navigating within Shinjuku Train station.
As far as I know we will be arriving on Platform 5/6 at Shinjuku Train Station (from Narita via NEX). To be specific, how do we exit the train station via the east exit? Knowing there would be so many confusing exits. We will be staying at Hotel Gracery (from the east side).
Also, we are travelling with a 4-year old on a stroller. We would need to find lifts.
by Excited with japan trip (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/11/30 18:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DTH-lBDh9Q&t=51s

Hope this helps. I requested the maker of the videos (Japan BackpackersXpress) for directions to Hotel Gracery.

I'm assuming the main thing is to find Kabukicho signs within Shinjuku station.

I too, will be staying at Hotel Gracery and taking the Nex into Shinjuku. I'm also staying at another hotel that he has walking video later on my trip and this was how I was able to find him (googling Nex to Shinjuku station and there was links on the sides as recommendations).

If you need more specific directions within Shinjuku Station coming out of Nex platforms you can request it from him/her (and if you're able to get one done post the link back here).
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/11/30 22:44

This station map shows you where the east gate is:
https://www.shinjukustation.com/shinjuku-station-map-finding-your-way/
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/12/1 11:23
Thanks for the infor hibell77!
I contacted the youtube person and he/she was kind enough to post a video walking from NEX platform at Shinjuku to the East Exit.
See link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEbFicNIplU&feature=youtu.be

By the way, what's your budget like for day to day within Tokyo areas? (Food, public transport fee, a little bit of shopping).

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/12/1 15:15
@Excited with japan trip

thanks for requesting and posting the link. That person is awesome and very quick. I'm wondering what time (s)he went since it's pretty empty for world's busiest station!!!

So the ending in your requested video will the the beginning of my requested video right! Thank goodness you asked because I think I would have gotten lost looking for the East Exit.

I'm spending 16 days total in Japan. Total of six full days and two 1/2 days in Tokyo. All hotels already booked (crying on how my credit card bill will look like). I'll be purchasing Pasmo/Suica card for transpo fees (also will have JRPass). I'm budgeting $100 US per day for daily expenses (food, shopping) but I don't plan on fully using all $100 each day. I would like to try to spend less. But one never knows when one would like to splurge on meals and decide to go on a shopping spree. $100 US is a lot for 1 person budget per day but I'm playing it safe with extra.

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/12/1 17:42
@hibell77

I felt so special for that youtuber to be specifically taking the effort to video his journey for us :) Good on him!
I'll be travelling with my husband and 4-year old son, hence needing every single detail possible to make our stay 'stressfree'. After hearing stressful stories from friends about getting lost in train stations for more than an hour I thought better equipped myself first. I've saved his video on to my phone and will be following it step by step when we're there. In his video it looks like some construction going on in the train station, so hopefully come Jan it will not look as different as the video. As long as we follow the signs 'East' exit, we should be fine.
My budget is around AUD$200-$250 per day for 3 person. I'm beginning to think it might not be enough? But like what you said, we also will not be fine dining and possibly a couple of fancy dinners on some nights and some souvenir shopping in Disneyland. We're only staying for 8 days! Feel so short....:)

Re: Navigating around shinjuku train station 2016/12/2 16:57
@ Excited with japan trip

Let me know if it turns out to be a breeze out from Nex to Hotel. Or you run into any problems. I should be going several months after you.

AUD$200-250 sounds right for 2 adults and a young child. Did you guys get breakfast with room? I didn't cause it seems so high. I can go to any convenience store like 7-11 and the likes plus Don Quixote is right there for some meals on the cheap (breakfast primarily).

reply to this thread