Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/1 13:10
Hi all, I'm in the process of planning out my trip (already booked my flight!!!) and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some of the miscellaneous costs of actually being in Japan.
These include:
Daily price of taking trains around Tokyo
Daily food budgets, right now I am using an estimate of $15 a meal or $45 a day but that seems outrageously high for someone who will be having ramen almost every day.
Alcohol prices at bars or in supermarkets
Cover fees for clubs.

Any info would be much appreciated!!
Thank you!
by Kmao (guest)  

Re: Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/1 14:39
that seems outrageously high for someone who will be having ramen almost every day.

I don't know why so many people think ramen is cheap food. It's not; 1000 yen or more a bowl is common, compared to 300 for a bowl of gyudon.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/1 15:17
Wow that's cheap, is it like a pay for what you get thing or at what price do I have to pay for a good bowl.

I'm mainly thinking of hakata style ramen which I've heard you can see heaven for 700\
by Kmao (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/1 16:08
I usually set Y1000 per meal. Most of the time I don't reach Y1000 but I sometimes splurge on really good food that could range from Y1500-2500.

Trains will depend on where you're going but most of the trips I do is around Y160-Y220 per ride.

You also have to think about entrance fees for museums and temples. For instance, Tokyo National Museum is Y620, Ota Museum of Art is Y700.

by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/1 20:57
be careful with extra cost at dinner.
i always buy gyudon or konbini bento to avoid hi-cost dinner.
by shintaWD rate this post as useful

Re: Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/2 05:24
@ami
I guess that makes sense to go easy on breakfast and lunch and splurge on the dinner.
I guess I have to plan out my train trips if I want to estimate that (*_*)
I've already looked up entrance fees for my destinations but I can't look up food prices :(

Re: Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/2 05:26
@shintaWD
How much does a konbini bento usually cost? And which are the best ones?

Re: Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/2 06:10
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miscellaneous Costs of Travel 2016/12/2 07:47
You CAN look up food prices. Many, many websites list average prices of various food items. Have a Google around, or take a look on the Japan Travel sub on Reddit.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread