Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Planning 1st trip to Okinawa, a bit confused 2016/12/4 14:35
Hi Japan-guiders. Thanks so much for all the informative posts and responses on the forum.
I am planning my first trip to Okinawa, it will be in March. I have 16 or so days to spend in Japan (on my yearly pilgrimage), and was thinking since I have been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kyushu, Nagano and Hokkaido, before, best to explore where I haven't and that'd be Okinawa!

However, after browsing the itineraries on the forum i've seen, and after taking a look at the JP-Guide page on okinawa, I am really a bit confused as to what the best course of action is to take in terms of getting there and then setting as the "home base", or movement around is. I see there's a lot of people who fly into Ishigaki and then explore nearby, but what are the other options? Any suggestions for maybe a 8 day/7n or a bit longer itinerary? Would I need more time to explore? So sorry if it seems open ended, but to be honest, the transit situation and best practices seemed to elude me from all I was reading.
by hgeek23  

Re: Planning 1st trip to Okinawa, a bit confused 2016/12/6 08:26
Seeing Okinawa is a great idea, but you need to be more specific. Are you planning to do a lot of island hopping? Or primarily stay at one place like the main island?
One of the best ways to get around is JAL's Okinawa Island Pass, for discounted flights between the islands. Normally they are very expensive. However, you mentioned going next March and in 2017 there are blackout dates from March 17 - 31.
Taking a ferry is another way, but it can be extremely time consuming and a day trip may not be an option.
Renting a car is one of the most practical ways of getting around. Not sure if you are willing or ready for that.

You need to flesh out your plans more first. What islands are you planning to see? If you want to see Ishigaki, are you also hoping to go to other nearby places like Yonaguni or Iriomote?
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning 1st trip to Okinawa, a bit confused 2016/12/6 12:39

Any suggestions for maybe a 8 day/7n or a bit longer itinerary?

We spent 9 days visitng the areas :

Flew from Osaka to Ishigaki in October last year with Peach air.
http://www.flypeach.com/pc/en
Based in Ishigaki spent 4 days visiting Yaeyama islands ( Iriomote, Taketomi, Kohama, Yubujima and Ishigaki):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7200.html

Flew to Naha ( Okinawa) with Jac :
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/module/?121=1A161010ZZ37990910000000011CZZ...
Based in Naha, spent 5 nights travelling the island with public transport.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning 1st trip to Okinawa, a bit confused 2016/12/6 13:58
thanks Ken and Shinji

Ken, my plans arent fleshed out because I really am unsure as to the time required and best practices of visiting Okinawa. Island hopping--is it worth it? The issue I have with the Okinawa JP-Guide rundown is it doesn't really provide any information in my opinion of a smart way of doing it. I don't know which Island is most important to explore (most worth the time and things to see), and I am unsure of what would be a good strategy (island hopping vs not). I am extremely mobile, and love to see things, so energy spent traveling is not a problem, but time is a resource, so that is really what my question boils down to--for the time I'd spend in okinawa, is there a smart way of approaching crafting an itinerary?

Shinji, thanks for those tips!
by hgeek23 rate this post as useful

Re: Planning 1st trip to Okinawa, a bit confused 2016/12/6 14:27
Ultimately if it is worth it or not is a question only you can decide. Do you want to try snorkeling or scuba? Or ride the water buffalo cart or kayak and hike? What works for one person might not for another.

I suggest you look at the route map at the bottom of
http://www.churashima.net/jta/company/islandpass_en.html
as one possible way to get around by air. If you want to explore more, there are ferries to the nearby smaller islands. Miyako and Ishigaki are the other popular islands to see aside from the main island, and I would say they're worth seeing.

But again, in the end it is up to you.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread