Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/6 06:08
Hi all,
I am a fan of mitsubishi, but just wondered what their company's beer tastes like in Japan?. The brand is Kirin (I think). Thanks.
by Josh (guest)  

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/6 10:32
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/6 13:52
Sorry, but itfs a little bit ridiculous question. And besides, I don't understand what you mean precisely by Mitsubishi.

Who cares the relation of a certain beer company to a certain financial group (or old financial combines [zaibatsu]) except those who are concerned, id. workers in one of the companies of the group, for example? Are you concerned? If so, I apologize.
Ordinary Japanese people like me prefer one or two kinds to the others because of a good combination of price and taste, and never care about the financial groups which these favorite beers belong to. Moreover, since Kirin beer company, like the other companies, presents a big variety of beer of different taste, one can not answer how, in general, Kirin beer tastes. One drinks what one likes, and in my case, I drink Ichiban-shibori, more because of its lower price than because of its taste. Nevertheless it tastes so-so good when it is well chilled.

I might have said something rude, but anyway, please don't feel offended, because I have no malicious intention.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/6 14:54
If some travel writer ever compiles a list of the 100 best things about Japan, the beer, or biru, would surely make the top ten. Even the discount brands of the Kirin, Ebisu, orion breweries are at least five times as good as the best mass produced beers in the States. I find Kirin Ichiban to closely resemble original Coors from the Colorado brewery, the only decent mass produced US brew. Look at what the salarymen are drinking on the shinkansen where beer is sold or in cafes and restaurants. Then buy what they are drinking. It will be a taste of Heaven! (Asahi rules, just my opinion.)
by johnnyman rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/6 23:29
Kirin, Asahi, etc, are all pretty light, slightly sweet, sudsy lager-type beers.

Honestly, they're not all that much to write home about, nor are they all that different from other bland lager-type beers.

I think that the least bland is Yebisu, but we're really talking shades of blandness.

Of course, with lightly-flavoured food and in hot climates then a light beer is probably what you want. I'm not knocking mainstream Japanese beer, but it's not amongst my reasons to go to Japan. When I'm there, I look for hoppier beers (which are starting to be more widespread - even in combinis, depending where you are), and I look forward to the beer of my home country when I return.

But basically, if you want to know what Kirin tastes like, it tastes like a light, bland, fizzy lager.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/7 06:52
Bite your tongue! Asahi is a prince among beer - a decent crisp taste without leaving a cruddy taste in your mouth. Kirin is pretty good (the Ichi-whatever) though Asahiu is my beer of choice.

I also like Suntory Magnum Dry.

Just personal taste, really. I dont like malty beer because it gives me a headache.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/7 07:38
Ah, but I come from the land of warm, malty, dark, bitter beer.

The pale sudsy stuff doesn't really do anything for me other than wet whistles
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/7 09:30
Thank you guys for the info. I guess I'll have to try it when I go to Japan. I like mitsubishi, so I would just like to try their beer, thats all. No hard feelings to anyone who doesn't understand that. Hah.
by Josh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/7 11:43
Mitsubishi doesn't make beer. Kirin does. Buy a Kirin in your country and you'll know the taste.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/7 13:17
I knew for the first time, Kirin was a Mitsubishi group(zaibatsu).
I like Kirin City and I go occasionally.
http://www.kirincity.co.jp/
I also visited the Yokohama factory in Kirin and drank beer for free.
http://www.yokohamajapan.com/things-to-do/kirin-yokohama-beer-village/
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3211.html
Normal beer of Kirin or Suntory is similar to beer of other countries.
For example, with beer I drank in the Czech Republic or Germany.
Budweiser is lighter.
Asahi's super dry is stronger.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: how does Kirin (Mitsubishi) beer taste? 2016/12/10 11:41
If you "buy Kirin in your own country" you could easily be getting something brewed under license, in China, Canada, or maybe other places too. The taste is nowhere near the same as the real Kirin brewed in Japan.

My favorite generally-available beer in Japan (and available in Singapore) is Yona-Yona Ale, or almost anything else brewed by Yoo-Hoo. You can get it at many supermarkets, and Don Quiote. And don't be afraid to try the many craft beers made in Japan.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread