Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/11 22:26
In 2014, I took my kids and my father for a two-week vacation in Japan. We went to several sites in Tokyo but realized most of the places we visited required long walks and other activities for grown-ups. Suffice to say, the trip was a flop with the kids. Except for Disneyland.

Any idea where to go to in Tokyo where the kids (aged 4, 6 & 11) and my father, 80+ but still stronger than me, 37 ^_^.

We're staying in my sister's place in Kawagoe, Saitama.

Wefll be there for more than a month, April 2 to mid of May next year. My father will be celebrating his birthday there, too.
by theqbf  

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/12 10:53
Ghibli museum is great, and to get everyone in the mood you can watch some Miyazaki movies first.

I liked Ueno zoo. Kamakura and Enoshima are a lot of fun, Enoshima has a dragon theme which is good for the kids (and me).
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/12 13:11
Thanks, Lady Pious! Ghibli museum tops my list now. And perhaps the Pokemon Center and what else ^_^

How about some place to eat that has a kid atmosphere?
by theqbf rate this post as useful

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/12 13:14
Hi There,

I always think that kids would love Akihabara, due to all the arcade games, it would keep them very busy, I would know.

And if they love Anime then its a must for them to see.
by Frankie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/12 15:04
Thanks, Frankie! We've been to Akihabara last time and they indeed enjoyed it.

Perhaps we should visit one of the maid cafes, too. What do you think?

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/12 20:17
What were the places they didn't like?

In any case, you coming in the midst of cherry blossom season, so go on a picnic and let the kids run around while your dad enjoys his wine.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/12 21:03
I don't think a maid cafe would be that interesting for kids. Then again I don't think it would be very interesting for anyone, yet people seem to go to them....

Here are some places that might be interesting for kids: http://whereintokyo.com/dbinx/kids.html

Also there's a pretty nice cat cafe in Kawagoe, called Nekoya: http://animalcafes.com/v/25481.html

Ikebukuro is the most accessible part of Tokyo from Kawagoe, and the Sunshine City on the east side of Ikebukuro has lots of places of interest to kids, including Gyoza Stadium (a dumpling theme park), a mega-Pokemon shop, an anime mini-theme park, and a pretty nice aquarium: http://whereintokyo.com/dbinx/ra-ike.html#sunshine
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/12 23:11
Thanks, Uco!

We went to Ometesando last time. My youngest was jumping at every tile along the way which cause him to be exhausted to easy. Basically, they didn't like walking too much, but they run amok with every gashapon and toy stores. I have to keep luring them away from seeing them most of the time. ^_^

Thanks, Umami Dearest! That's a mega link you got there!

Nekoya!!! Never thought they have one there. Now I had to teach my sister (who apparently have been living in Kawagoe for more than 15 years) about the tourist spots there. HAHAHA!

And about Ikebukuro, I've been to the Sunshine City International Aquarium when some ten years ago. But the Pokemon Center wasn't there yet, I think.

I'm actually a travel blogger (http://www.brownfoxtravels/japan/) so I wanted so see and many sites as possible but at the same time, I have to let my kids and my father enjoy the trip as much. Thanks for all your suggestions, please keep them coming ^_^

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/12 23:13
Thanks, Uco!

We went to Ometesando last time. My youngest was jumping at every tile along the way which cause him to be exhausted to easy. Basically, they didn't like walking too much, but they run amok with every gashapon and toy stores. I have to keep luring them away from seeing them most of the time. ^_^

Thanks, Umami Dearest! That's a mega link you got there!

Nekoya!!! Never thought they have one there. Now I had to teach my sister (who apparently have been living in Kawagoe for more than 15 years) about the tourist spots there. HAHAHA!

And about Ikebukuro, I've been to the Sunshine City International Aquarium when some ten years ago. But the Pokemon Center wasn't there yet, I think.

I'm actually a travel blogger (http://www.brownfoxtravels.com/japan/) so I wanted so see and many sites as possible but at the same time, I have to let my kids and my father enjoy the trip as much. Thanks for all your suggestions, please keep them coming ^_^

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/13 01:21
Maybe you should simply divide yourselves into two groups. For example, Harajuku alone is quite different depending on whether you walk along Takeshita Dori, or Omotesando, or Uraharajuku, or Laforet. You can think about dividing between the two little ones and the 11-year-old with the grandpa, or between boys and girls. The 11-year old might even enjoy visiting a university in the area and its cafeterias.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/13 01:50
I kinda think that Odaiba might be nice for your family to visit. There are a number of attractions and museums in this man made island. I heard there is a nice science museum there although I have never visited it. Please look up further descriptions of Odaiba and what is there on this website. There are also a number of shopping centers that might be fun to visit there. There is an overhead monorail system there that connects you with most of the areas you might want to visit or you can walk to most depending on your stamina. (Unfortunately seeing sites in Tokyo requires a lot of walking, just remember how big the subway terminals are. I always get lost in Shinjuku Station!)
Another site you might want visit is Tokyo Skytree or Tokyo Tower for the views. You need to pay to access both and Tokyo Skytree being the newest and the highest seems quite rather expensive to me and has long lines during parts of the day. I think you might be able to reserve tickets in advance if I remember correctly. You can also shop at the nice shopping center attached to Tokyo Skytree while you are there and visit Asakusa which is a few subway stops away. There is also a great view at the top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government buildings near Shinjuku station that is offered for free. There is also a great tourist information center at the ground floor of one of the two government buildings.
You are smart to start planning early in advance of your trip. There is a huge amount of information you can use on this website. You might also want to view some of the older tapes on the NHK on demand website to see various venues reviewed on the Tokyo Eye TV show. Also you tube has tons of interesting videos. Have fun!
by 56Premiere rate this post as useful

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/13 13:30
hi There,

I would totally recommend the maid café for the experience, but only once, but not so sure if the kids would find it interesting, but worth the try.

I would have to agree with 56Premiere, and would say that Odaiba is a must, very nice area I loved it, I would recommend Tokyo Tower and Shinjuku Government Buildings, Tokyo Tower only 900Yen and the Shinjuku Gorv Building is free, Skytree I didn't do as it has amazing long lines and is very expensive, but if you have the budget to spoil yourself, why not then do Skytree instead....I was in Tokyo November 2016 for autumn season and would maybe 3 years from now go again for the cherry blossom season.

I can totally agree with you that walking allot in Tokyo does take its toll on a persons body, I actually found out I lost weight when I got back home, 2kg to be exact, so it is a plus for walking allot, but now and then I would go back to my hotel to rest up or just refresh up before heading out the evening.

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/13 16:22
Thanks @56Premiere and @Frankie

Odaiba is now on my MUST-VISIT list, I can't imagine how many things we can do there. Plus I'm thinking of riding that futuristic river ride if it's not expensive.

As for the towers, I'm still thinking whether we'd take my father to Tokyo Tower or Skytree on his birthday.

Love your recommendations, keep 'em coming.

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/14 10:45
Another interesting/odd Tokyo only experience you might look into is the Robot Cafe in Shinjuku. See the videos for it on you tube.
Any particular things that your family is interested in that those of us on this forum might be able to recommend? Hobbies, career interests, etc.?
by 56Premiere rate this post as useful

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/14 17:52
@56Premiere, my kids are most active with places where they can run wild with other kids - kidzania, bounce house, etc.

I'm thinking of interactive activities (but not much geeky such as science museums) but still have the touch of Japanese culture.

My father simply marvels at the difference of our country to others, like how he's amazed at how we can leave the house late and still arrive at our destination early. I think my father would appreciate the sights where Japanese culture will be very much identified.

Thanks for the advise.

Re: Exploring Tokyo with kids and a senior 2016/12/15 03:35
Hi there theqbf,

Just wanted to wish you well on your upcoming trip, and i hope you and your family have a blast.

reply to this thread