Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Myoko - JR Pass vs regular travel? 2016/12/14 00:35
Hi,

Just wanting to double check that regular travel using a pasmo card will work our cheaper than buying a JR East Pass/Japan Rail Pass for the following itinerary?

Many thanks in advance!

Itinerary:
Narita - Tokyo (2.5 days)-Myoko Kogen (8 days)-Tokyo/Disney Sea (1.5 to 2 days)-Narita

by eternalmorn  

Re: Myoko - JR Pass vs regular travel? 2016/12/14 12:52
You cannot use an IC card to travel to Myoko.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Myoko - JR Pass vs regular travel? 2016/12/19 23:41
Understood that the leg between nagano to myoko cannot use an IC card - when I meant regular travel I meant a combination of train fares + IC.

Does anyone else have any more input on what the most economical way is to travel this itinerary?
by eternalmorn rate this post as useful

Re: Myoko - JR Pass vs regular travel? 2016/12/20 01:16
It seems like a JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass should save you some money. It has five flexible days of use within a 14 day period.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_nagano_niigata.html

You could use it to:
(1)Narita Airport to Tokyo on the NEX.
(2) Tokyo to Joetsu-Myoko (you take private train from there)
(3) back to Tokyo
(4) back to the Narita Airport.

You will have an extra day to do whatever. Perhaps a day trip to Nikko.

Good Luck, in planning your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Myoko - JR Pass vs regular travel? 2016/12/20 23:36
You do not define "regular travel" sufficiently precisely. As the poster above said, if you plan to take the N'EX from Narita to Tokyo and the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Joetsu-Myoko, then the pass very obviously pays off. Otherwise, it may not, for example if you take local trains from Narita to Tokyo and highway buses to Joetsu.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Myoko - JR Pass vs regular travel? 2016/12/21 02:05
Thank you so much for your replies - much appreciated. I will take a look into the JR East nagano pass.
by eternalmorn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread