Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/14 13:42
Hi, May I know is there a day pass. Intend to visit Mt Fuji sight and return to Shinjuku on the same day. Do tell me the most economical and fastest way to travel and visit Hakone with Mt Fuji, ropeway, and book cruise in the itineary. Travelling in end May 2017.
by Peggy Yong (guest)  

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/14 19:39
Are you going to Hakone only or are you planning to visit Mt. Fuji area (Lake Kawaguchi) area as well??

If you are doing a round trip from Tokyo, do the Hakone Round Course (including the ropeway and the lake cruise) and return to Shinjuku, the Hakone Free Pass pays off, even if it is done in one day.

From Hakone, you might be able to "see" Mt. Fuji, but there is no assurance (due to weather). If your main aim is to see Mt. Fuji a bit closer, you might want to consider Lake Kawaguchi (Kawaguchi-ko) area instead.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/15 00:48
Thank you. Does the hakone free pass include the cruise on the kawaguchiko. As i saw a brochure with a pirate boat on a lake n mt fuji behind. Beautiful scene. You mean for my day trip i have to buy the 2day pass plus top up for the romancecar. Is it the same cost i buy on line as in the station. Must i buy in advance? Im afraid of bad weather sobi cant buy pass in advance. Can tge pass refundable .thank you for your guidance
by Peggy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/15 08:18
You can buy the pass on the day. The pirate boat is on Lake Ashi. If you check the Odakyu website it includes a brochure and map - lots of explanation.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/15 09:04
You are mixing up something. The lake in Hakone is called Lake Ashi, or Ashinoko. And the Hakone Free Pass includes the pirate ship ride on Lake Ashi.

Also the pass pays off even if you use it on one day only, as long as you make the round course, including the pirate ship, rope way, and various other modes of transport.
You want to reserve the Romance Car in advance if you want to ride that. Once you start using the pass, you cannot refund it. But it pays off..,

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/15 13:30
I'm still confused by the brochure. It has a recommended itinerary stating Odakyu line express + Hakone Tozan Line from beginning of journery and end of the trip (commencing from Shinjuku). Does the pass include both ways using these mode of travel. Must I top up beside the 5140 yen per pax. Do I only pay 890 Yen x 2 if I use Romancecar? Do I need to reserve seat in advance for the Odakyu line express? If I online purchase in advance, how do I get the pass? The brochure state the pass is collected at the gate. How do I enter the train if I dont have the pass/ticket earlier? Sorry I'm new to Japan system. It is my first time in Japan. Please help. Thank you
by Peggy Yong (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/15 14:40
Go to Shinjuku station to the Odakyu section of the station - buy the pass at the ticket window (Y5140). Go to the platform. Insert ticket into gate and collect - it recognises that you have entered the system and while it is returned here, when you leave/exit on your return to Shinjuku the ticket gate keeps the ticket.

If you want to use romance car (fancy name for a slightly more comfortable train) you can buy/reserve the extra ticket on the platform (the extra Y890). That gets you to either Odawara or Hakone depending on the train.

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/15 17:22
I don't know what the brochure says, but Hakone Free Pass (5140 yen) gives you the whole "round trip" from Shinjuku via Odakyu Railway train (except for the Limited Express Romance Car) to Odawara/Hakone-yumoto, then traveling within the "free area" of Hakone, doing the "Hakone round course" including Hakone Tozan Train, ropeway and the pirate ship cruise on the lake, etc., then back to Shinjuku again.

The only additional payment (optional) would be IF you use the Romance Car, which would cost additional 890 yen one way, for the reserved seating and shorter travel time between Shinjuku and Hakone-yumoto. If you want to take the Romance Car, then you need to book in advance.

When they say they collect the pass at the gate, I assume they are talking about your way back, when you leave Hakone-yumoto, because you no longer need the "free area" portion of the whole pass set. You will still retain the Hakone to Shinjuku portion of the ticket.

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/16 08:26
If you want to take the Romance Car, then you need to book in advance.
As little as one minute in advance if you want. I've always grabbed a ticket on the platform just before getting on the Romance Car.

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/16 12:14
Thank you very much for all the information. In this instance, I need not buy the free pass in advance. I can buy a day earlier or on the same day at the ticket counter right? With this pass, I can travel two way by train and does it comes with sitting seat or need to stand if it is crowded? My Hubby and myself are seniors that cannot stand throughout the 100min ride. We are really look forward to this trip as it is part of our retirement bucket list.
I really appreciate and thankful to any comments rendered. THanks again.

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/16 12:26
There are lots of ways of doing the trip. Shinjuku to Odawara can be on regular trains (with seats - you are travelling against the normal commuter flow), and the express train is 20 minutes quicker. Last time I did the trip we used shinkansen to Odawara (because we could - had JRP) and did the loop returning to Odawara and shinkansen back to Tokyo.

Re: Hakone Free Pass - day pass? 2016/12/16 14:03
You mean the Odakyu line to Hakone is the normal train running frequently at very short interval and the Hakone Free pass include this mode of travel both ways. Is there a time-table for the cruise and the hakone tozan train that we must catch. I did not buy any JR pass as I shall be in Tokyo city most time accept going to Hakone and Kamakura. Is it worth to buy the Shinkansen tickets plus the free pass? Or, it is better I buy the free pass and top up for the romance car one trip. Thank you

reply to this thread