Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Year Period in Hiroshima 2016/12/14 18:06
My friends and I will be in Hiroshima from 30 Dec - 3 Jan 2016. I know that some of the sites of interest will be closed e.g. Peace Memorial Park on 30 & 31 Dec. We are also thinking of getting the Kansai-Hiroshima JR Pass and making a day trip to Osaka as we are not sure if 5 days in Hiroshima is too long.

1) What would be good places to spend New Year's Eve and New Year's Day? I was thinking of catching the first sunrise on Mt Misen at Miyajima, not sure if that is feasible? It seems like Miyajima might not be as affected by New Year's Eve and New Year Day's closures but it seems like a huge challenge getting accommodation for 31 Dec at this point in time?

2) If we venture to Osaka on 31 Dec, will there be peak traffic going there? And if we want to return to Hiroshima from Osaka after counting down to New Year, will there still be trains?

3) If we spend the night in Osaka after the countdown, what might be good places to catch the first sun-rise? (just a quiet place will do)?

Appreciate the advice, thanks!!!
by Amanda Quek (guest)  

Re: New Year Period in Hiroshima 2016/12/15 10:35
First, 5 days in Hiroshima is too many. Most people spend about 2-3 (and that includes visiting Miyajima).

1. A temple or shrine would give you a unique NYE in Japan. New Year's in Japan is a time for family, not a party night, so don't expect a countdown or fireworks. You're definitely too late to book accommodation on Miyajima, since NYE is in just over two weeks.

2. Again, New Year's is not a party occasion, so traffic will be as per normal. There is unlikely to be a shinkansen back to Hiroshima after midnight; the shinkansen does not run in the late/early hours due to maintenance. You can check the last train back using Hyperdia (hyperdia.com/en).

3. Can't answer, sorry. But again, there won't be a countdown.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New Year Period in Hiroshima 2016/12/16 10:10
Hi sq

There is an excellent fire festival on Miyajima from 6pm on NYE. Many people head to Itsukushima Shrine after midnight and also make the hike up to the top of Misen - but it's a long cold wait between the fire festival and sunrise.

There are countdown parties in Hiroshima city and Gokoku Shrine next to Hiroshima Castle actually has a party atmosphere unusual in Japan on NYE - lots of people drinking and eating from after midnight until dawn and beyond.

Check out this link for more info http://gethiroshima.com/features/art-entertainment/festivals/new-year-...

and pick up a GetHiroshima Winter Magazine when you arrive
https://issuu.com/gethiroshima/docs/gethiroshima_mag_winter_2016

Hope this helps and I'm sure you'll have a great time in and around Hiroshima. I've been here for 20 years, so I'm sure you can find plenty to do for 5 days :)

Cheers

Paul
GetHiroshima
http://gethiroshima.com/
by Paul Walsh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New Year Period in Hiroshima 2016/12/16 10:59
Thanks for the info - I had incorrectly assumed Hiroshima would be like most of Japan, where countdowns are not prevalent.

However, I think you've misdirected your response - I'm not the one who will be in Hiroshima on NYE, I was just answering the question!

Re: New Year Period in Hiroshima 2016/12/16 13:21
Apologies sq, that reply was directed at Amanda, the original poster. Sorry for the confusion.
by Paul Walsh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New Year Period in Hiroshima 2016/12/16 14:19
No worries. I'm glad OP has got the answer they were looking for, at least!

Re: New Year Period in Hiroshima 2016/12/16 14:25
Thanks sq and Paul for the replies and advice! Especially the point on it being a long, cold wait between the fire festival and the first sunrise (too late to get lodging at Miyajima!) much appreciated:)
by Amanda Quek (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread