Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/15 05:45
To whom it may concern,

I appreciate the opportunity to ask you a question. I frequently use self-guided travel to Europe ( I originally came from Taiwan but have been living in the U.S. for 45 years). I was told that it will be difficult to do a self-guided travel in Japan due to language difficulties. If I do a 4 day, 3 night tour in northern Kyushu when I'm at a railroad station or on a bus, can I ask for guidance and will I be understood (even though I know the people are very kind)? The 4-day, 3-night tour probably does not cover a Rail pass. I also understand that a 3-day Northern Kyushu Rail pass will cover it. However, if I would like to go to Kagoshima an extra day for a quick visit using the Kyushu Shinkansen, is it worthwhile and doable? I also understand that a Kyushu Rail pass will cover the whole island. Your kind response will be highly appreciated.

Best regards and Happy New Year!
by harold lin (guest)  

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/15 11:25
The people are kind, but they can't read your mind, so you should at least have your itinerary ready. Hyperdia is your friend, and for the odd places that are not accessible by train like Udo Jingu or Takachiho, do a search here.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/15 12:38
It all depends on what YOU want to see/do in Kyushu. Some things don't require any Japanese language skill, and for times that you need to ask something there are people that can understand English or Chinese. [BTW, Kyushu is very popular with Chinese tourists (and Koreans), so you may be able to ask your fellow tourists, too.]

3 days is not enough to see all of Kyushu, so you may want to narrow your scope. I would start from Hakata. Then consider expanding to Nagasaki or Beppu. I personally would be happy spending all 3 days in Hakata.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/15 12:57
I think you meant Fukuoka...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/15 14:10
Well, locals often refer to it as Hakata.

You can do whatever you want, but the more you research and make an itinerary for, the more money you can save by choosing the best way to do it. If you just "wing it", you're more likely to end up wasting a lot of time and paying through your nose for things.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't travel alone and follow your own plan. Nothing beats the freedom of going where you want, when you want, and for how long you want. Whether going down to Kagoshima is worth it is all up to you and your budget. I can certainly say that seeing Sakurajiuma, Senganen and other sights was great.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-irtXXB8IJMdkB9mF0qjn...

If you get hopelessly lost, which is not too hard, it is better to find some older school or college age students and write out your questions in simple words. Japanese are still very poor at speaking English but are often glad to help you out if you lose your way.
Carrying a business card or paper with your hotel's address on it can be a big help too.

I agree with the above that if time is short it'd be better to stick to northern Kyushu, but if you really want to see Kagoshima and don't see yourself coming back to Kyushu for a long time (or ever), then do what makes you happiest.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/15 14:35
I like Kagoshima and the side trips to Ibusuki, Sakurajima and Chiran.

You can probably do the trip self-guided, but expect to have a few issues along the way where language or transport/directions will make life a bit more difficult. Preparing and planning in advance are important to a good trip in Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/15 19:09
You'll be fine.

It will pay off to do a bit of pre-planning as to where you want to go, and maybe to save/print links/maps for any hotels or more off-the-beaten-track places you want to visit.

If you're going to drive (a decent option for non-city travel), then rent a satnav and use telephone numbers to navigate (you punch them into the nav and it takes you to the place. So easy!)

Read the Kyushu section of this website, and whatever guidebook(s) you prefer, and come back with some detailed questions once you've got a draft itinerary.

There are also several threads on here from people planning trips in Kyushu, so they might be useful to you...
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/16 02:17
Kyushu is one of my favorite areas to visit and I've always done self-guided trips. Like others have said, I'd use Hakata as your "home base" and branch out from there. You can use this site as well as others to find out whats in the area. Take day trips out from there and just explore. A day trip to Kagoshima is totally possible if you can afford the shinkansen. It's about a 2 hour ride I believe? The pork down there is completely worth it though :)
by calrawrle rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/16 04:44
I do not speak Japanese, except for a few phrases like "Thank You". I have been to Japan several times, and visited Kyushu each time. I have never had a language problem, except for the one time I left my phrase book in the hotel room at Ise, and tried to order water. "Beer" was instantly understood, so I had a beer.

I have heard this story about a couple vacationing in Italy. The wife decided to study Italian for several months before their trip. On the first day in Rome, the couple went to a bus stop. When the bus came, while the wife was trying to remember how to phrase the question, the husband simply pointed at the bus.
"Bus... Colosseum?"
The bus driver nodded, and they got on.

Many of the college enterance tests in Japan have an written English portion, so many students have several years of English in junior high and high school. Most tourism shops at the stations will have someone who speaks English.

When I went to get train tickets, I would write out the starting and destination station using standard English lettering. I would also write out the departure time, if I had looked it up on hyperdia. I never had a problem.

Many of the resteraunts will have picture menus, and many had dish samples in the window.

In addition, every time I would stand in or near a train station puzzling over a map, I would usually have some ask me in English if I needed help within two or three minutes.

I think you may be overly concerned.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/16 08:48
For trains, if you look them up in hyperdia, each long distance train departure each day has a unique number.
The number, plus the destination, will allow you to help the booking office staff help you ( but they generally have enough English to do this anyway).
Also, a small notebook and pen allows you to draw/write most everyday requests in most situations.
Japan is a wonderful and relatively easy place to travel in if you have a flexible approach and learn a small number of phrases and think laterally and SMILE.
It's more about guessing the next stage in each interaction: you walk into a restaurant and what's going to be the first thing the staff want to know? How many people do you want a table for...and then, do you want some drinks?...it's basically the same all over the world. There are some things like staying in a ryokan which have their own routines, but every ryokan has basically the same routine so once you've got it once it's the same everywhere...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/16 16:31
I do appreciate all of your help and suggestions. I do not plan on driving or visiting rural areas. Also, I have come up with my itinerary. On March 18th morning, I'm leaving for Osaka. I'm planning to stay in Kyushu for a few days. I will be going to Fukuoka first, then next day I would like to go to Nagasaki for a 1-2 day trip. If it is feasible, I would like to go to Kagoshima for a trip of 1 more day and then go back to Fukuoka. I prefer to travel by train. That is why I'm thinking of buying an All Kyushu Rail pass (3 or 5 days) or other suggestions? Which ryokan in Nagasaki (moderate to higher end) would you recommend that is not too far away from downtown area?
by Harold Lin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/16 18:38
You'll struggle to find much ryokan choice in downtown Nagasaki. There's a recent thread on here about it.

Kyushu does have some excellent ryokan, but you'll have to get away from the cities to experience them.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/17 03:15
Since you are planning to go to Osaka, are you going to have a 7 or 14 day JR Pass?

If so, I would advise you to get the 3 day Northern Kyushu pass for the first three days. On the 4th day, activate your JR Pass, and go to Kagoshima on it.

If you are still looking for a Ryokan near Nagasaki, I would suggest the Shimabara Peninsula, and possibly Unsen Onsen. Here is a link:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4450.html

I believe that there are busses from Nagasaki to this area. It might be better to look into a SunQ bus pass instead of the Northern Kyushu pass, if you plan to go there. Another link:

http://www.sunqpass.jp/english/index.shtml

It is possible that you could get the 3 day SunQ - All Kyushu pass for your 2 days in Nagasaki, and one day in Kagoshima. It is 10,000 yen.

When I stay in Fukuoka, I go to the Route Inn that is next to Hakata Station. It has a hot springs bath at the hotel, but it an inside bath. If I want the outdoor hot springs bath near Fukuoka, I usually go to Ajisei No Yu Onsen in Kitakyushu. It is next to the Kawachi Fuji Gardens. The Onsen offers a free shuttle bus from Yahata Station. Since you are going to be there mid March, the Wisteria tunnels at Kawachi Fuji Gardens will not be in bloom, but here is a link to show you what it looks like at the end of April:

http://www.tourismontheedge.com/hidden-places/asia/wisteria-tunnel-kaw...

Anyway, the Onsen is very nice. The shuttle bus will take you along a valley with a lake that is used for scull training(rowing).

I hope this helps.

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/17 11:11
Do you really go all the way there for an onsen? There are other closer good ones too, like in Hisayama, Nakagawa, Futsukaichi, and Shikanoshima.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/17 22:02
I realize that there are closer ones, but I usually have a JR Pass while I am in Fukuoka. Hakata Station is a great starting point for day trips, and I have made day trips south to Kagoshima, and north to Hiroshima from there. I have also gone to Hius Ten Bosch, Nagasaki, Beppu, Arita, Kumamoto, and Kitakyushu as day trips, along with the attractions at Fukuoka.

I first went to the Kawachi Fuji Gardens several times, and every time used the Onsen shuttle to get there. I am familiar with the Onsen, and I like it, so I have kept on going there.

So yes... It's a little farther away, but I still go there. It's about a hour away from Hakata Station by rapid service, and I usually also visit some of the places in Kitakyushu when I go. I have yet to go to Space World, and that will probably be done on my next trip.

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/18 03:02
Space World announced that they will close. You have until the end of 2017 to visit there.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/18 03:57
Oh well... I have plans to visit again in 2018. Space World was not very high on my list.

The other thing that I've wanted to do around Fukuoka, but never got around to it, is a Yanagawa Canal Boat tour, and having a Unagi lunch. Freshwater eel (unagi) is a Yanagawa specialty.

I don't think that will be shut down in the near future.

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/18 04:16
And yes, before anyone mentiones it, I know Unagi was red listed a few years back. I have not seen anything in the ads saying that Yanagawa has a shortage of freshwater eels in their canals. There is still a Nishitetsu rail/canal/lunch package for Yanagawa.

http://www.yanagawakk.co.jp/index_e.html

One of the packages listed has a "hot spring" Pass, So I might get that instead, and select my own place for lunch.

Re: How can I travel in Kyushu self-guided? 2016/12/18 04:37
Oh yes please! Eel and onsen ;0)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread