Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/15 06:29
I know everyone has difference in opinions and interests. I have a list of "MUST" see/do and want to fill the in between from site to site (I've been reading up on different places). I've read numerous blogs, going to various forums, checking different itineraries and asked some friends who've been to Kyoto. Bunch said they wished they spent more time here/there, others said they wished they didn't skip this/that, others said that if they had a redo they would have skipped this and this. Others said they went to this place out of the blue and glad they did because it ended up as one of their favorite places.

So I want to ask no matter what one's interest is, what place is a must see/do, maybe if have time, or skip/don't bother, etc. and why?

For instance:
MUST
Fushimi Inari = walking thru red/orange Torii gates, view, hike especially when going further up

Arashiyama Bamboo Forest = walking thu area, around greenery

Otagi Nenbutsuji = quiet, eerie, 1200 statues (this is the one that I've read that they were happy they ended up here and ended up one of their favorites. and of all the blogs and itineraries i've read, only a few mentioned it like this site)

MUST, MAYBE or SKIP
Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion) - all different reasons from serene and beautiful grounds, to it's not silver, not as impressive as Golden one, etc.

Monkey Park - again all different reasons on must, maybe or skip. Like took one look on the hill up and decided to skip it to the it's an experience feeding the monkeys and the view up there.

Then I come across a Shrine is a Shrine or Temple is a Temple. They all look the same. So skip it and just go to main ones (the popular ones) or do the opposite and skip the main touristy popular ones and go to the less visited ones. And so on.

I guess I'm more interested in something like the ones I've read about Otagi Nenbutsuji where they didn't plan on going but ended up there and was one of their faves. Also, others say visit smaller lesser known places but didn't say what/where. So I'm assuming it's the ones near the popular ones away from the crowd.

I tried asking my friend on his opinion but he's one of those who don't like walking much. They hit the main sites and just wanted to go to a bar or somewhere to sit, relax and drink. And he's the one who said they wished they went here and there if they had more time. Too bad they don't like walking.

Again, I know it's a general kind of question. But anything that will help me narrow down where I want to go. Thanks.
by hibell77  

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/15 10:49
hmmmm...in Kyoto there are some amazing things to see but what you dont see in photos is the crush of people at the more spectacular ones. The bamboo forest, for example, looks serene and mysterious in photos. In reality it can be like being on an escallator in the middle of hundreds of feral tourists, especially during the light-up.

The most spectacular in my mind are Golden Pavilion, Kiyomizudera, and Nanzenji, also Fushimi Inari. But all of them can be a bit of a trial with the crowds, especially Kiyomizudera which has been awful the last few times I've been.

If I was taking someone to Kyoto, I'd try to see temples earlier in the day, and make it places like Tofukuji, Fushimi Inari, Silver Temple (and walk philosopher's path). Arashiyama is nice but crowded. Id rather head off to Uji or Nara. Bear in mind that the temples are one thing, but the surrounds and gardens and nicer.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/15 13:08
Everybody is different. For me personally, all temples started looking the same after 20. For you it may be 5 or 50.

One thing I hated was the crowd. Fushimi Inari and Arashiyama Bamboo Grove were like the Disneyland. If they are on your must see list, and if you dislike crowds, visit very early in the morning.

One thing I really enjoyed was getting lost in the Ninenzaka neighborhood. I really got lost wandering the streets, but loved every step of it. I wandered into a temple where I was the only visitor, and I had the whole place to myself. Having to pay an admission may be the real reason why nobody was there. But to me, I bought serenity for 400 yen, and it was well-spent. Afterward, I found out that this temple was Choraku-ji.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/15 14:47
Otagi nenbutsuji is one of my favourites, in fact the area in Arashiyama past the bamboo grove, where not so many people go is an area I love. Gioji and Adashino nenbustuji, also in Arashiyama are another two faves. They have a nice quiet vibe, and the rakan at otagi are really enjoyable to look at.

I enjoyed Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji was pretty but crowded, and Kiyomizudera was completely overrated to me. However I had seen a lot of temples and shrines over a number of trips by the time I finally bit the bullet and visited Kiyomizudera, had it been one of the first I'd seen maybe I'd be more impressed.

The travelling away from the popular sights and just wandering through streets is something I really enjoy. The quieter a shrine or temple, the more I like it, even if it's not historically important or visually interesting. Walk 10 minutes away from a "must see" and you'll find quiet streets. You're sure to stumble upon something.
My advice is to do an area a day. Plan a few things you really want to see, and then just walk about everywhere else, see what else there is.

by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/15 17:24
Thank you to all.

I'm so glad I like to do things early in the morning and preferably at opening or get there before opening to avoid crowds. But unfortunately there's only few sites that's open early or is 24hrs.

I'm planning on going to Arashiyama area early (700-730ish).
Fushimi Inari late afternoon
Is Kiyomizudera still worth going? The main hall will be under renovations come January. Will this affect the viewing area deck or is that part of the hall that will be closed?

I like to wander and walk around cities I'm visiting. I walked from NYC Chinatown through Brooklyn Bridge/ Fulton Ferry Landing and back over to Manhattan Financial District. Walked one end of NYC Highline to the other end (before expansion). Walked around 1/3 of Central Park (from American Museum of Natural History) and back to hotel near Rockefeller Center area. Got "lost" in Venice, Italy (Realto Bridge to St. Mark). In London, walked from Westminister Abbey to Tower Bridge. Got "lost" in Lucerne, Switzerland.

As long as I have a starting and end point...the in between is the fun part. I usually like to start at a place that is know to be very busy later. But I do like to plot out a route just in case but usually I end up wandering. A route is just something to help me along the way to my "must" see/do place.

I'll just deal with the crowds. I don't necessary hate them because no matter where you go you can't avoid them. Not everything can be done early or late (due to opening and closing). Most of the Shrines/Temples have similar opening/closing times. So I just have to pick and chose which one to go first to avoid crowds.
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/15 17:40
I enjoyed Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji was pretty but crowded, and Kiyomizudera was completely overrated to me.
by hoangphuong rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/15 23:57
I agree with above forumers that temples will look the same after few visits to and from other temples. As previous thread/s say, you might be 'templed'-out.

It's up to you. Forumers have stated their favorites. I went to few World Heritage Sites as listed under Kyoto. They are a 'unwritten' must for every tourist visiting Kyoto, Kinkakuji in particular. The other sites in Kyoto not mentioned on the list are also of parallel beauty I could say.

I went to Enryakuji Temple (Todo, Saito and Yokawa) almost a month ago. Although the said temple is in Shiga, it is listed as part of World Heritage List of Kyoto. The temple is seated at Mt. Hiei, divided into 3 locations. Less travelled, more serene and good for hiking. Less travelled, as in I can count in my hands the number of visitors in both Saito and Yokawa. I just deemed Todo as crowdier but of lesser degree compared to any World Heritage Sites in Kyoto.

I rode from Osaka to JR Ishiyama Station which is an easy transfer to Keihan Ishiyama Station. From Keihan Ishiyama Station, I went to Sakamoto Station then walked for 15 minutes to Cable Sakamoto Station. Cable Sakamoto Station to Cable Enryakuji Station via Sakamoto cable car is approximately 11-minute ride. Cable Enryakuji Station to Todo bus stop is another more or less 12-minute walk.

As with the 3 locations, they have different approach/interpretation/design of the temple's main hall. What I loved the most is the detailed stories near the entrance on each location as to how the leader created the temples on 8th century and the role of each location in the Japanese society as a whole, if only I am able to read kanji (or should an English version was made available in which I have no information thereof).

The challenge was visiting Yokawa first in which the first bus ride from Todo only starts at 10. Yokawa is the farthest, while Todo and Saito are closer to each other. I finished at past 13:00 visiting all sites. As I recalled, I rode the 13:30 cable car down to Cable Sakamoto Station.

Before and after going to the Cable Sakamoto Station, you will pass the Mt. Hiei High School and Hiyoshi Taisha Shrine, another important cultural heritage in Japan. I wanted to visit that but omitted it since I knew that I will be late in Ishiyamadera. Another temple called Miidera is another place to visit but had to omit that as well. I preferred Ishiyamadera since it was said to be the birthplace of the first known novel in the world which is Genji Monogatari or Tales of Genji. The pagoda and main hall, I thought the entrance to Ishiyamadera, is seated in an exposed rock formation called wollastonite.

Ishiyamadera Station to Ishiyamadera itself is a kilometer walk for more or less 10 minutes. Interestingly, there is a tatami-making store along the way.

To sum up, both Enryakuji and Ishiyamadera are both in Shiga. As I mentioned I accessed Enryakuji via Otsu. You can access Enryakuji in Kyoto side via Eizan or bus from Kyoto Station all the way to Enryakuji.

I bought Hieizan Odan 1-day ticket pass by Keihan that already includes the bus, cable car and train rides. The total amount of travel I had is almost JPY 4000 and the Hieizan Odan 1-day ticket only costs JPY 3300. The pass can be used in the Keihan rides up to Osaka in which was my base.

Like you, I am also looking forward to any site and those accidentally discovered. Personally, I have this inkling to visit Northern Kyoto Prefecture that I considered a whole day travel.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/16 15:11
Well, everyone has their own idea of the best places, although some places stand out so much they absolutely should not be missed. For Kyoto, the typical Top 3 sites are Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji, and Kiyomizudera, but there are so many other great places worthy of your attention.
You mention the Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple, which is not eerie at all - in fact it's one of the most whimsical places you'll ever see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvtB_5jmjA

Now going to Fushimi Inari at 2 AM, that might be a bit eerie. And if you go to Otagi, the Adashino Nenbutsuji Temple is very close and worth a visit too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAE1Puv21Y

Arashiyama Bamboo Forest is nice but you'll be through it in 20 minutes or so. Just bamboo in every direction. Tenryuji next to it is very nice though. The Iwatayama Monkey Park is not the best in the country, and requires a bit of a slog of a hill to reach, but it's a good break from just seeing temples/shrines, and it gives a good view over the city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlAkO1gdZKg

The Togetsukyo Bridge is all but worth walking across and skipping. Historically it is famous and important, but today it's pretty much like any other bridge with cars and trucks roaring past. If you want to see a bridge, try Iwakuni or for modern, the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge.
A lot of the problem though is being one area - you can see a lot of places close together, or spend (and waste) a lot more time going from one part of the city to another to see what is "best". I should ask however if you have browsed this website on numerous good places in Kyoto:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html
as well as seen the official Kyoto City tourism guide:
http://www.kyoto.travel/
You'll find gems listed on both.
I can give a few often overlooked items you should consider.
The Jonangu Shrine which is southwest of Takeda Stn has some beautiful gardens and offers a relaxing experience without most of the crowds. The Murin-an Garden is a beautiful garden (located in between Nanzenji and Heian Shrine) that's nearly unknown to most including the tourist guidebook "experts". The Shugakuin Imperial Villa and Katsura Villa are also a feast for the eyes. And if you go to Fushimi Inari, close by are the Tofukuji Temple & Daigoji Temple which are worth seeing too, especially in for the autumn colors. Plus there are the Kamo Shrines, the Honganji Temples (which open around dawn and close to Kyoto Stn, so easy to fit is a schedule), and there are farther away places too like Kibune, Kurama, and Sanzenin. Of course, there are countless more I am not mentioning.

And since you didn't mention it yet, you absolutely should give at least half a day to see Nara. If you think that a temple is just a temple, you have not see the Todaiji - it will blow your mind and while other places might turn into a blue, this place you'll never forget for the rest of your life.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-jGyApXWSTIKwkioxuAKw...

I would suggest not to overdo the temples and shrines all in a row. I did that 35 years ago and by the end of the day, just about everything was a blur. I had trouble telling where I even took my photos. Break things up with some variety - the monkey park, the railway museum, the Nishiki Market, whatever. It'll keep things separate in your mind and you will overall enjoy your visit more.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/16 18:00
Is Kiyomizudera still worth a visit even during main hall renovations? Is the viewing deck still accessible or is that part of the main hall and will be closed off also.

@ Ken - this is what I originally started

Tokyo 1-3 (arrive 1330 day 1)
Kyoto 3-9
Takayama 9-10
Kanazawa 10-12
Tokyo 12-17 (leave evening of day 17)

day 3 (Sun) - Kyoto (planning on leaving Tokyo early morning and try to get to Kyoto by 1300) Tofukuji Temple & Fushimi Inari, Kyoto Tower/Station. If coming in later will skip Tofukuji.

day 4 (Mon) - Kyoto - Osaka (Universal Studios) - late evening Dotonbori - Kyoto

day 5 (Tues) - Kyoto - day trip to Hiroshima/Miyajima - Kyoto

day 6 (Wed) - Kyoto - day trip to Nara - Kyoto - walk around Pontocho or Gion

day 7 (Thurs) - Kyoto - revised version of Eastern Kyoto itinerary from this site

day 8 (Fri) - Kyoto - revised version of Arashiyama itinerary from this site

day 9 (Sat) - Kyoto to Takayama (early)

I'm now thinking of switching Hiroshima/Miyajima and Eastern Kyoto to break up the Temple/Shrine overload

Should I rearrange anymore?

I'm trying to figure out where to put Kinkakuji. Ideally would be with Arashiyama but I plan to go to the Bamboo early like around 730 to avoid crowds and Kinkakuji doesn't open til 900. Unless I backtrack after the Bamboo and go to Kinkakuji then back to Arashiyama (wasted time). Originally planned on going to the Monkey park but thinking of skipping it. Or go to Kinkakuji right when it opens the day of Nara trip.

As of now, I'll do the major must see sites and mix it with the smaller lesser known sites for breaks from the crowd. If I'm near a more well-known site and doesn't seem crowded then I'll head there. I plan on coming back in two years or so (I hope). That means I can visit other sites I miss.

Thanks to all who suggested smaller lesser known sites. I'll google and research and try to narrow down sites. Originally I was going to do a fast paced type of itinerary and try to see "most" of the sites but realized it will be to much with all the travelling and walking. Plus like what you guys all said where after a while they start to look the same and may end up being Templed out. I got Churched out when I did a European Tour for 26 days (visited a Church for 24 days straight!)
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/24 02:26
I am actually curious to know more of less known shrines and temples to tourists that locals would say to visit for their serenity, beauty and uniqueness.
by Ryshili rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Temple/Shrines and other sites 2016/12/24 07:29
east to ostu/biwako
north to kibune/kurama
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread