Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sunscreen in March-April? 2016/12/15 19:41
Hi,
I am packing for my upcoming visit to Japan and not sure if I would need sunscreen. I will be mostly in Kyushu, Yakushima and Shikoku. Might do a trip to Okinawa but then i suppose I could buy sunscreen in Japan perhaps.
by Johnny (guest)  

Re: Sunscreen in March-April? 2016/12/15 23:06
You always need sunscreen, whether it's cloudy or in winter. Even if you don't get sunburn, the UV damage still exists and will manifest in the form of wrinkles, dark spots, and maybe skin cancer in the long run.

I like Japanese sunscreen more than my American variety. You can buy local and not have to pack any.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sunscreen in March-April? 2016/12/15 23:52
by Lri (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sunscreen in March-April? 2016/12/16 06:58
I traditionally only use sunscreen during summer or when in warmer countries like Spain, Mexico, etc where the sun is very strong.

I know hiking in the mountains is recommended to have sunscreen, or in the alps (b/c of the snow reflecting sun), but I have never been in these conditions.

Unfortunately, finding sunscreen "out of season" is rather hard here, and they only come in 150-200 ml bottles, which is too big to drag around for one person.

Buying in Japan sounds like a better idea. Where can you easily find sunscreen in Japan "out of season"?
by Johnny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sunscreen in March-April? 2016/12/16 08:24
Depends on your skin, and what you are used to. The UV index here in Japan isn't bad based on what I grew up with (15 was normal), but I know some people that avoid the sun anyway (when it is only 6-9). In general I find northern hemisphere sun pretty weak.

But, while March and April are still spring, it does not hurt to protect yourself against sun damage.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Sunscreen in March-April? 2016/12/16 10:15
I am a Japanese male and live in Kagoshima. Though I donft have delicate skin, I put on sunscreen on my face, arms and hands when Ifm driving in summer. If not, even I get these parts sunburned heavily.
I think you can buy one in any season in any drugstore. I use a small bottle (40ml) of Bioré UV Perfect MIlk SPF 50+ PA+++ (or ++++). I think this is a strong type. You will have more choice in stores.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread