Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What about in Japan? 2016/12/17 03:04
Hello!

Here in my country it's becoming popular to marry and don't have kids. What about in Japan?

by Lily8383  

Re: What about in Japan? 2016/12/17 23:13
The decrease of children here in Japan is serious enough to become a political problem, because the younger population won't be able to support the aging society.

So, yes, I guess it sort of has been "popular" for decades now, but not everyone gives up children by their own choice.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What about in Japan? 2016/12/18 23:33
Marriage and having a kids are two separate things...in my view at least.
Religions, and social structures, have tried to link them together for thousands of years. Nowadays people are more likely to follow their own moral compass than an external one...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: What about in Japan? 2016/12/20 10:35
Here in Japan I'd say young people are not getting married in the first place, either they are not interested (some singles consider marriages as a loss-making deal, in terms of having to save on their hobbies/pastimes and sacrifice for... what?) or they can't afford to get married (some of the younger generation not finding sufficiently self-sustaining full-time jobs).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What about in Japan? 2016/12/20 18:01
Japan is no different from the rest of the world. Marriage and kids happen less due the the cost of living.

The only place were people have too many children is 3rd world countries where birth control is hard to locate and child labour is still rife.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What about in Japan? 2016/12/26 21:56
In America it's 1) finish high school, 2) finish college, 3) get a stable career/job, 4) get married and 5) have kids. between 2 and 3 process you should have met someone and got married. the big question is, do you put career first over having kids later. Normally they say couple in America should have kids in the late 20's to mid 30's.

When it comes to Japan, I have my own personal opinion.
by Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What about in Japan? 2016/12/26 23:53
Kay, you must be speaking of middle class white America because that is not an example of most of American families. Women having kids out of wedlock, from multiple partners, getting a job with just a GED, etc. It's more prevalent than you think.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread