Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/19 17:44
Hey. I'm arriving to Haneda in the morning. My plan for two weeks is:

D1: Haneda - Tokyo
D2: Tokyo (metro)
D3: Tokyo (metro)
D4: Tokyo (metro)
D5: Tokyo - Nikko - Tokyo
D6: Tokyo (metro)
D7: Tokyo (metro)
D8: Tokyo - Osaka
D9: Osaka
D10: Osaka - Nara - Osaka
D11: Osaka - Kyoto - Osaka
D12: Osaka - Himeji - Osaka
D13: Osaka - Tokyo
D14: Tokyo (metro) - Haneda

I think buting JRPass for 7 days from day 8 is a must, but I'm wondering about buying JR East Pass (Nagato, Niigata) on day 2, so I can go to Nikko for free and use unlimited Tokyo metro.
Maybe it would be better if I bought daily tickets for metro only and separate round ticket to Nikko?
by David (guest)  

Re: Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/19 18:25
For starters, JR passes are not valid on Tokyo Metro.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/19 19:15
As Firas said, JR Pass is good for "JR trains," meaning Japan Railway operated trains. Metro (subways) are not part of JR.

A 7-day JR Pass to cover day 8 to day 13 (long-distance, inter-city travel on JR Shinkansen) would pay off, and you "could" buy Nikko Pass by Tobu Railways (not JR) to get to Nikko. OR, if you feel like doing the day trip to Nikko on day 7, you can use the JR Pass to cover day 7 to day 13.

For the rest, you could use prepaid card for traveling on metro in/around Tokyo (no savings but convenient).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/19 19:38
Thanks for response. What about travelling in Nikko if I go there with JRPass? Are the local buses cheap?

About the Tokyo. I found 3-day tickets for metro for 1500 yen. How much is single ride ticket? And the buses are cheaper?
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/19 23:10
Some of the Nikko packages include some transport within the area.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/20 04:46
Depends on distance, but expect about 200Y on average for a single ride on the subway. I didn't take any local buses except for the one taking me to the Ghibli museum from Mitaka Station. That was 210Y each way or 320Y if you buy round-trip ticket.

I found that I used about 5,000Y for 6 days. Most of those days include 4-5 rides per day.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/20 06:15
When in the year do you travel?
Have you booked all your accommodations?
(Depending on seasons, as your date approaches, it may become difficult to book a hotel room matching your preferences in some well-accessible areas.)

About the Tokyo. I found 3-day tickets for metro for 1500 yen.

In which area in Tokyo do you stay?
(Is there a subway station close to your Tokyo accommodation?)
Which sites in (and around) Tokyo do you plan to visit?

Tokyo Subway Tickets recently got renewed to be 24-hour, 48-hour and 72-hour tickets.
(Before the renewal, Tokyo Subway Tickets were 1-day, 2-day and 3-day tickets, and the duration of their validity was counted by calendar days.)
A Tokyo Subway Ticket can be used on Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway lines (#).
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html
http://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/eng/tickets/value.html

#: The word "metro" may be taken as referring to Tokyo Metro, which is one of the two operators of subway lines in and around Tokyo; so, please use "subway" instead.

You have several days to travel in and around Tokyo, so I recommend that you make a few groups of sites to visit which you can access mainly by subway then judge whether a Tokyo Subway Ticket pays off for the trips.

D14: Tokyo (metro) - Haneda

Haneda airport is outside the subway network.
- Tokyo Subway Route Map (with station codes)
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf
: In this map, thin lines indicate non-subway lines and the grey-and-white striped loop indicates the JR Yamanote Line.

I'm wondering about buying JR East Pass (Nagato, Niigata) on day 2, so I can go to Nikko for free and use unlimited Tokyo metro.

All subway lines are non-JR lines; there is no JR pass which is valid especially also on a subway section.

JR passes, including this JR EAST PASS (Nagano {not "Nagato"}, Niigata area), are not valid on the bus lines connecting major tourist spots in Nikko.
The operator of these bus lines is Tobu Bus Nikko of Tobu Group.

It may be cost-saving if you shift your Nikko day trip to a later day so that you can use a 7-day Japan Rail Pass for it, even though you pay in addition for your bus rides in Nikko.

There are three major railroad routes between Tokyo and Nikko.
(a) Tokyo or Ueno --[JR Tohoku Shinkansen]-- Utsunomiya --[JR Nikko Line]-- Nikko.
(b) Asakusa -- [Tobu lines: one or a few trains]-- Tobu-nikko or Kinugawa-onsen.
(c) Shinjuku or Ikebukuro -- [JR and Tobu lines: a through Limited Express train]-- Tobu-nikko or Kinugawa-onsen.

A Tobu Nikko pass is valid on the railroad route (b) and some bus routes in Nikko.
If you do not shift your Nikko day trip, a Tobu Nikko pass is better cost-wise than a combination of a JR East Pass + Tobu Bus regular tickets or a Tobu Bus Free Pass.
: To take a Tobu Limited Express train, in addition to your Tobu Nikko pass, you need to purchase a reserved-seat ticket.
: When you hold a valid Tobu Nikko pass sold exclusively for foreign tourists, you can be given a 20 percent discount on surcharges for Limited Express train services.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html

Or, if you hope to take fast trains with your seats reserved but also save the cost, a JR TOKYO Wide Pass may be a good deal.
This pass allows you to take JR-Tobu through trains on the route (c) with no additional payment.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_06.html

When you plan to take the railroad route (a) or (c), please make sure to check the timetables.
: Between Utsunomiya and on the route (a), trains are only infrequently available.
: Only a small number of JR-Tobu Limited Express trains go through the route (c).

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/20 17:46
omotenashi - thank you very much for your comprehensive response. It is very useful.

I'm visitting Japan from 25 March to 7 April. I have booked 12 days in hotels right now. Still thinking with my wife if we don't want to sleep in Nikko for one night.

In Tokyo we will stay near Shinjuku Station (to be exact: International Hotel Kabukicho, 25.03-01.04 for 89600 yen).

After your suggestions we have changed the plan to have ability to visit Nikko on first day of JRPass.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Correction: typo 2016/12/22 15:44
NOT: Between Utsunomiya and on the route (a)
BUT: Between Utsunomiya and Nikko on the route (a)

Re: Best pass configuration for 14 days trip 2016/12/22 15:51
to be exact: International Hotel Kabukicho

Subway Higashi-shinjuku Station (E-02, F-12) seems to be closer to this hotel than Shinjuku Station(s).
- Google Maps
: Route from (the elevator near Exit A3) of Higashi-shinjuku Sta. to International Hotel Kabukicho
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/dir/35.6975843,139.7081822/35.6967604,13...

Shinjuku railroad complex, composed of Shinjuku and Shinjuku-nishiguchi Stations on many lines, is huge and very complicated, enough to be a labyrinth for first-time visitors.
So, when you carry much luggage, it sounds better, if possible, to avoid making a transfer in this set of station buildings.

Regarding your Nikko trip, I suppose staying overnight can be worthwhile when you hope to go to the Chuzenji area or the Kinugawa area in addition to the area around Toshogu.

visiting Japan from 25 March to 7 April.

JR companies may revise their timetables in March, just before your arrival.
Please wait for a few months until Shinkansen new timetables become available on the websites.

reply to this thread