Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/22 23:13
So I made this Itinerary with a lot of help from this website and a few posts in this forum. So I thought it might be cool to post the aftermath. Also, let me know if I am missing any seriously cool stuff in cities I'll be visiting!

Things to know:
Almost all of my lodgings are already reserved
I wanted to touch as many regions of Japan as I could in the first week
I don't mind only seeing one or two things in certain cities(Hiroshima, Takamatsu, Kanazawa) even though I know I could devote more time there
The first week of my trip will be just me, and I'll have a JR Pass
On day 7 I am meeting my friends flying into Tokyo
I will only be listing city-to-city travel here

Day 1--3/26 Sunday
Fly into Tokyo Haneda @2:25pm
Go to AnimeJapan convention for a few hours(already bought my ticket)
Go to an onsen/eat/drink
Get a capsule hotel or something

Day 2--3/27 Monday
Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hiroshima
Get some Hiroshima Okonomiyaki and some oysters
Visit Peace Park and memorial
Visit Miyajima (Ikutsushima Shrine and maybe some hiking trails)
Shinkansen from Hiroshima/Miyajima to Fukuoka/Hakata
Eat/get drunk at yatai stalls
Hotel in Fukuoka (paid)

Day 3--3/28 Tuesday
Visit:
Ohori Park
Castle Ruins
Canal City
Eat some Hakata Ramen from across the city
Eat/drink at yatai
Party/find a club
Hotel in Fukuoka (paid)

Day 4--3/29 Wednesday
Shinkansen from Fukuoka/Hakata to Okayama
See Korakuen
Shinkansen from Okayama to Takamatsu
Walk through shopping arcades to Ritsurin Koen
See Ritsurin Koen
Shinkansen from Takamatsu to Osaka
Eat/drink/party in Dotonbori or something
Sleep in Osaka

Day 5--3/30 Thursday
Shop/walk around Osaka and a couple of Osaka districts
This part is really one of the only things that's up in the air, I know I can fill a whole week just wandering though
Eat/drink/party
Sleep in Osaka

Day 6--3/31 Friday
Shinkansen from Osaka to Kanazawa
See Kenrokuen
Shinkansen back to Osaka
Eat/party/drink
Stay in Osaka

Day 7--4/1 Saturday
The first part of the day is a little weird. I'll be taking the Shinkansen back towards Tokyo. On the way I'll stop at a smaller station like Maibara. Then I'll rent a car and drive through the countryside a little. After that I'll continue back to Tokyo to ,eet up with my friends who will be arriving in the afternoon.
Stay the night in Shibuya

Day 8---4/2 Sunday
Spend the morning in Yoyogi Park
Do some random stuff, most likely shop in Harajuku and Nakano Broadway.
At night we will get on the Willer Express towards Kyoto and sleep there.

Day 9--4/3 Monday
Arrive in Kyoto in the morning. We will be renting bicycles and seeing:
Kinkakuji Temple
Ninnaji Temple
Togetsuyokyo Bridge
The Bamboo Groves
Iwatayama Monkey Park
Katsura Villa
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Then we will meet up with a local friend to drink/eat and stay the night in or around Gion.

Day 10--4/4 Tuesday
See:
Kyoto Imperial Palace
Nijo Castle
Manga Museum
Nishiki Market
Ginkakuji Temple
Philosopher's Path
Make our way back to Gion or Pontocho
Take the Night bus(Willer Express) back to Tokyo

Day 11-15---4/5-4/9
Stay in Roppongi. Haven't fleshed out all we are going to do in Tokyo but at the least we will:
Have Michelin starred ramen in Ikebukoro
Visit Akihabara
See gardens and parks (Shinjuku Gyoen,Rikugien,Koshikawa Korakuen,Ueno Park,)
See culture landmarks (National Museum,Meiji Shrine,Imperial Palace)
Eat a lot of sushi and ramen.
Party every night in Sibuya/Roppongi/Shinjuku

Most of our time in Tokyo is not scheduled yet, we have already made hotel reservations in Roppongi for all 4 nights though.
by Kef93  

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 13:18
Day 2-3: Very rushed with long distance trains both days. I would seriously consider travelling to Hiroshima the day before, spending all of Day 2 at Miyajima, and then spending whatever time you have on Day 3 in Hiroshima.

Day 6: There is no shinkansen from Osaka to Kanazawa. It's a limited express train. Rather than doing this as a day trip (long), consider stopping off at Kanazawa on the way to Tokyo: limited express from Osaka to Kanazawa, then shinkansen from Kanazawa to Tokyo.

Your itinerary is really messed up in terms of locations. I know you said you're meeting your friends on Day 7, but can't they make it to Kyoto by themselves? You're going to waste time on trains, otherwise.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 13:53
Day two isn't gonna happen.

7 hours on a train. 4-6 hours for Hiroshima. 4-6 hours for Miyajima.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 16:51
Here's my math on Day 2.
The only time-sensitive things are the Peace Park and Ikutsushima Shrine, both of which close at 6pm.

Leaving as early as I could, around 5am-6:30am, I would get into Hiroshima at around 10am-12:30pm. That gives me around 3 hours to see the Peace Park, I've never stayed in a museum longer than 2 hours. Then I would take the JR Sanyo line to Miyajimaguchi and then the ferry to Miyajima which in all would take around 45 minutes. Then I have a couple of hours to see the shrine before it closes. Then it'll take about an hour and a half to get to Hakata/Fukuoka. I don't mind getting to Fukuoka late, I'll mostly be chilling at yatai stalls all night.

For Day 6.
That might be a good idea, going to Kanazawa on my way to Tokyo. I am definitely going to consider it. My only concern is that if I leave as early as possible from Osaka I would get there at around 9:15am. I would then have to leave before noon to get back into Tokyo to meet up with my friends.

Yes, the schedule gets a little wonky with me meeting them back in Tokyo, but part of the reason for this trip is us going to Japan together so I'm letting my route get inefficient,
by Kef93 rate this post as useful

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 17:06
around 6:30 is the earliest you can get a shinkansen from Tokyo.

so yes 12:30 is about the earliest you'll arrive at Hiroshima Station. You need time to transfer to buses or trams and sightsee within Hiroshima and return back to Hiroshima station.

Train + ferry to Miyajima = 45 mins yes, each way. Plus you time around Miyajima. I'm guessing you are only attempting the one shrine at the base since time poor. 2.5 hours minimum total.

60 mins train Hiroshima to Hakata Stations.

Yes maybe you might reach Fukuoka by 7:30pm at the earliest.

Personally to me it isn't appealing as one hour at Miyajima and one hour at Hiroshima isn't doing those sights or yourself justice.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 17:45
I saw on hyperdia that you can get a train out of Tokyo at 5:30. Ya I'm totally fine with getting into Fukuoka late. There isn't that much in Hiroshima or Miyajima that I think I would be sad to miss. I know there is a lot more little things to see in Hiroshima that aren't listed on this site but I feel like that's something for another trip. Plus I am really hyped about going to Fukuoka and put more time into going there for this trip.

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 18:01
@kef93

Tokyo to shinagawa at 5:37 am then Shinagawa Shinkansen Nozomi arriving in Hiroshima at 9:39. Is that what you are referring to? Please take note that you cannot use Nozomi and Mizuho when using JR Pass coming from Tokyo.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 18:25
If you take 5:06 train (not a Shinkansen), you will be able to catch Hikari departing Shin-Yokohama at 6:00, which arrive Hiroshima at 9:58.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=TOKYO&arv_node=...

You may better check the timetable one month before your actual travel.
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 21:47
Ya I plan on taking the Hikari on its first departure of that morning.

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 23:30
Kef93, I do apologize to burst this out but as you see many of the earlier posters in your thread are already confused with your inefficient travel itinerary. For me, whatever makes you happy then go! Yet, I am confused as well. Further, are your friends not grown up that you have to fetch them or be there for them as they arrive?

Take note that many of the forumers here had done many of your travels plus the fact that many are nationals and gaijins living in Japan of course lurking on this website who will try their very best to help you.

I would like to say this is my travel. I'll take note of this as reference. If I have to do your travel, I would do this:

Day 1:
- HND Arrival at 14:25
- Purchase IC card at HND
- Animecon will only be open until 17:00.
- Fly from HND to FUK for only JPY 10,800 via ANA (19:00, 19:30, 19:55, 20:00). The reason I pointed out the JPY 10,800 flat fare by ANA is because that is the last day of that promo (flat fare anywhere in Japan domestic). Same with JAL.
- Base: Fukuoka or near Hakata Station

Day 2 and 3:
- Fukuoka travels including shinkansen to Hiroshima and Miyajima
- Activate on Day 2 the 14-day JR Pass
- Base: Fukuoka on both days

Day 4:
- Hakata then shinkansen ride to Okayama/Takamatsu; tour
- Base: Osaka

Day 5:
- Osaka Tour

Day 6:
- Travel from Osaka to Maibara via local or special rapid trains or Wide View Hida limited express
- Drive Maibara
- Return to Osaka

Day 7:
- While I am waiting for your friends to arrive in HND or NRT, I will travel from Osaka to Kanazawa via Wide View Hida
- Kanazawa Tour (I had visited the city so I can cross this out. Hypothetically, I am doing your travel to say the least.)
- Return to Osaka

Day 8:
- I suppose your friends have already arrived in Kyoto by taking the overnight bus or flight from HND to ITM or KIX
- Kyoto Tour (Northern part - Arashiyama area, Kinkakuji and Ninnaji)
- Fushimi Inari is in south via Nara line so I will move this on Day 7.
- Say your base is in Gion. I can even position myself as far as Osaka just to sleep.

Day 9:
- Kyoto Tour (Inari, Nijo, Manga Museum, Kyoto Imperial Palace. These will all do by train rides and walking)
- Ginkakuji to Philospher's Path will do provided by taking Bus 204 from Marutamachi all the way to Ginkakuji then walk the Philosopher's Path. Or better, taxi from Kyoto Imperial Palace to Ginkakuji. However, the temples beside the Philosopher's path are hard to resist. I have already been there so I cross this out but for you, I am not sure if you still have time do this.
- Check Arukumachi Kyoto to plan your Kyoto travels.

Day 10:
- Shinkansen from either Kyoto or Shin-Osaka all the way to Tokyo
- Tokyo tour
- Base: Tokyo

Day 11 to 15:
- Tokyo tour
- Base: Tokyo
- Fly out either from HND or NRT to home country

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/23 23:49
I forgot to mention that if Day 15 is the exit day that will coincide to the end date of JR Pass, check if you can travel from Roppongi using JR Pass that will let you ride the Tokyo Monorail all the way to Haneda (if HND is the exit airport).

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/24 05:17
I meant leave for Kanazawa the day before you need to be in Tokyo, as you had already planned with the daytrip, and then be in Tokyo the night before. Then you can have a whole day in Kanazawa.

And I agree that spending so little time in Hiroshima and Miyajima is a waste. You'll be very rushed.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring 15 day itinerary 2016/12/24 14:31
Errata:

Day 6:
- Travel from Osaka to Maibara via local or special rapid trains or Thunderbird limited express

Day 7:
- While I am waiting for your friends to arrive in HND or NRT, I will travel from Osaka to Kanazawa via Thunderbird

Day 8:
- Fushimi Inari is in south via Nara line so I will move this on Day 9.

reply to this thread