Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/5 22:35
Hi there.
I read on wikitravel on Yakushima the ferries to and from Yakushima could get cancelled in case of bad weather. Not sure what "bad weather" means, typhoons or a lot of rain, etc...

But I do not wish to get stranded in Kagoshima or Yakushima. As an alternative I thought of buying tickets for air travel. I take the ferry b/c of the lower rate.

Anyway. How soon would you know the ferry is cancelled anyway?

And about flight tickets, how soon upon departure can the tickets be refunded, minus any administrative fees?
by ALexy (guest)  

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/6 16:01
It could be on the day. Certainly typhoons would stop them running but also high-seas/swell could do that (and you don't actually need active wind conditions to have 4+ meter waves).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/6 18:49
Alright, well that seems a bit unsure, could it happen any time of the year?

What about flight? Is it possible to cancel it on the day if using the right fare type? Or would I lose all the fare?
by Alexy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/6 22:14
Refundable JAL tickets can be refunded up to 10 days after departure.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/change/normal.html
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/7 01:04
Alright. Well I was thinking if I cancelled the booking for the flight, not of it was cancelled itself b/c of weather, etc.

I mean, if I had a flight and the ferry is running as usual, finding it out like 8 am in the morning on the flight day, can I still cancel the flight without having to pay 100 % of the ticket?
by AlexY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/7 02:13
That all depends on which kind of ticket you purchased. Some are non-refundable.

I've had to reschedule flights with ANA in the past and it was only a week before the flight. The counter at Haneda did the refund for only 60% of the price I paid. Maybe closer to the day the refund may be even less.

Contact the airline to find out the specifics.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/7 02:54
Can't seem to find any contact details other than phone (for JAL). I'd rather send an email or something.

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/7 03:01
All the details are in the link above.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/7 06:03
No one can predict the weather 100%. You may have no notice at all about cancellations.

The info you need from JAL is in the link Firas provided in his first response.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/7 10:56
Sorry for that, my bad.

Seems like the only well cancellable fares are those done within a few weeks of departure, but then they are of course more than twice the ferry cost.

Since there is only one slow ferry per day, it could get people stranded on Yakushima really....

Say, should I better go with the plane instead? Or what would you have done?

Re: Yakushima ferry cancellation and flight 2017/1/8 09:30
Yes, you could get stranded, and if the weather was really bad, the planes would not fly either. That is the reality of travelling - sometimes you can not get from A to B (especially to a small island).

Even something as reliable as the Shinkansen stops for excessive rain on occasions.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread