Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daily budget (12 Days - Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto) 2017/1/13 12:12
Hi All,

This is a two-part question:

1. I currently have Y260,000 budgeted to last me 12 days - purely for spending, excluding Hotel, Food, Drinks, admission/activities fees and travelling.

I do plan to shop around bit on my free day to buy souvenirs, kimono's, clothes etc

2. I have the following budgeted:
- Spending Y168,000
- Food & Drinks Y38,000
- Travelling Y35,000 (Tokyo metro and Shinkansen return to Osaka)
- Admission/activities fees (Disneyland/Sea, Skiing, Universal Studios etc) Y45,000

Would this be enough?

Thanks in advance :)
by Livinlevinaloca  

Re: Daily budget (12 Days - Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto) 2017/1/13 13:04
2 comments:
(1) When you say you plan to buy kimono(s), did you mean the "real" (I.e., silk) kimono? If so, you may need more budget. Synthetic material kimono/yukata may be OK.

(2) Depending on what you plan to eat and DRINK (sake, wine, etc.), you may need more budget. If it means something like gyoza and a beer, then your budget is doable.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daily budget (12 Days - Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto) 2017/1/13 13:18
It all depends what your priorities are, and what quality you will be shopping for.

I'd recommend increasing your budget for food, $350 for 12 days is a bit tight unless you plan to eat nothing but 7/11 fare, and low key eateries.

Shopping in Japan is extremely expensive, all international brands have 40%-60% mark-up, and good quality local souvenirs don't come by cheap either. For example, I paid $60 for my matcha cups. Again, it all comes down to what you want to spend your money on. As a total though, your budget seems realistic, you might just have to reallocate funds.

Hope this helps. I also have tons of suggestions/tips on my blog, you might want to have a look for inspiration. cheers, nano | Travel With Nano B. - Travel & Food Blog
by Travel With Nano B rate this post as useful

Re: Daily budget (12 Days - Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto) 2017/1/13 13:28
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daily budget (12 Days - Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto) 2017/1/13 13:54
My partner and I had a budget of 275,000 yen for 13 days. Accommodation, breakfast, internal flights and JR Pass have been paid separately. We have spent quite a bit on food because we were keen to try everything, and the rest was just subway tickets, attractions and just a little bit of shopping. As someone else mentioned before, souvenirs can be very expensive. I wanted to buy a kimono too, but when I saw the price I decided to give it a miss.

Enjoy Japan. It's an awesome place to visit. We're going back in a few weeks :)
by Cat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daily budget (12 Days - Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto) 2017/1/14 07:26
This really depends on your tastes and what level of luxury you expect. Personally I would have no problem with eating for $30/day (and no, that wouldn't involve combinis - you can find good meals at budget eateries for ~$10.)

As for a kimono, if you want the real deal on a budget you can look for used, though it might be hard to find a place that is foreigner friendly if you don't speak Japanese.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Daily budget (12 Days - Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto) 2017/1/14 22:25
Thank you all!

It's my first time outside of Australia/New Zealand so I do want to ensure that my budget fits - I speak only an inkling of Japanese which I hope helps me whilst over there.

In regards to the Kimono's, I'm only looking to buy the cheap ones like in the markets etc $40-$50 ones...

I've moved my spending around and have come to the following:

- Spending (excluding food, drinks, activities & travelling) $2,100
- Food and drinks $500 (roughly $40 per day) as we will be on the go 10 out of the 12 days, we would not have the opportunity to dine in unless it were for dinner.
- Travelling $450 (would this be enough for travelling around tokyo for 6 days, return by shinkansen to Osaka?)

Apologies for the 20 questions but thank you for your answers and help! It's really appreciated.

by Livinlevinaloca rate this post as useful

reply to this thread