Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagano, Matsumoto, or both? 2017/1/13 16:16
My wife and I are planning to spend 7-10 days in Nagano / Matsumuto area. Would you recommend having one of these cities as a home base from which to visit the other cities as well as other sights in the area or stay at each city for 3 or 4 nights? We are considering a third place to stay for a couple nights outside of the city for a more more of a natural scene. Based on my research Nagano and Matsumoto are close enough to make one a day trip from the other, so it wouldn't make sense to stay in both. I'm leaning towards Matsumoto as a home base for 5 nights and 3 nights out of the city (maybe around Takayama for a change of scenery). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by Justin (guest)  

Re: Nagano, Matsumoto, or both? 2017/1/13 19:19
matsumoto is a lovely base city. not very touristic, very small, but with plenty of nice small restaurants and promenades.

and most important: in the near surrounding are plenty of onsen which are in my opinion among the best non-touristic in whole japan (check out for example shirahone onsen (http://www.shirahone.org) or make a google picture search). so here you will get some rural expierience.

also going through this japanese alps is great (check out san bon taki for example) or make a gondala trip
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6040.html

nagano on the other hand always was quite boring for me, but as a base city it will of course also do (e.g. if you intent to see those snow monkeys or kanazawa or takayama).

by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano, Matsumoto, or both? 2017/1/14 04:55
Matsumoto is a beautiful city, but Nagano is nice, too. From Matsumoto, you might consider spending a night in a guest house in Magome or Tsumago in the Kiso Valley, which are both reachable from Matsumoto via train. They may even be a nice day trip from Matsumoto.
by btdgreg rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano, Matsumoto, or both? 2017/1/14 12:39
Thank you for the response. This really helps a lot. I have a hard time visualizing everything and up until now just wing my trips freestyle. So, now we are thinking of making Matsumoto our first stop from Tokyo and staying 2-3 nights depending on the number of day trips / activities nearby. Next, 3-5 nights in Nagano City. We're thinking this might be a better home base as it's a bigger city with more night time activities open. Last, 1 or 2 nights in a onsen town / scenic area out of the city, but still accessible by train. Does this sound like a good plan? Could you recommend a good option for the last couple nights that would be a nice contrast from the Nagano and Matsumuto?
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano, Matsumoto, or both? 2017/1/14 18:37
Hi Justin,

It depends on your interest, of course.
If I have some days as yours, I will visit Takayama, where is really nature-touch, as my experience. In addition, I love old town so much, and sake taste. Walking through Jinya-mae Market in the morning and viewing the river along the town are so peaceful.

I visited Matsumoto and Nagano during cherry blossom season. I really like Matsumoto castle and its surroundings. That's all. I feel the city does not so much to offer, so spending 3 days in this city is not quite a good idea.

By the way, have fun with your choice!
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano, Matsumoto, or both? 2017/1/14 18:39
well, as you already said, you might check Takayama or Shriakawa-Go for 1-2 days... It is quite different from those two cities.

As btdgreg mentioned, you can go to Kiso Valley which you can also do easy as a day trip from matsumoto with train.

also i liked the wasabi farm, in case you go in summer / autumn (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6056.html)...

btw: matsumoto is not THAT small. it has about 250000 inhabitants, so enough to do at night, dont worry. but still it has some "cozy" feeling, all in walking distance.

the onsens i mentioned are easily accessible - but only by bus from matsumoto station (not by train). i hope this is no problem? in case you insist on trains you might also go to Gero onsen, which is famous for water. (but it is not as beautiful as shirahone or hida village onsen)

Re: Nagano, Matsumoto, or both? 2017/1/14 18:42
just to clarify: as lnkhang says matsumoto has not more to offer for more than one day, BUT: it is a absolutely great base city. so if you just intend to stay in the evening and morning there and spend during the day somewhere else, it is perfect.

reply to this thread