Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Recommended car rental agency? 2017/1/16 10:37
Hi,
Just a bit curious which car rental agency you would recommend when in Japan.

I know there is Toyota, Nissan, etc and some more I can't recall right now.

Anyone you would recommend the most in terms of rental fee, help in case of trouble, English use, etc...

I know these are all legitimate companies and yes, I can go read about them myself, which I have already done. I just wish to hear your opinions and views.
by Toyo (guest)  

Re: Recommended car rental agency? 2017/1/16 12:01
I usually use Tocoo
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommended car rental agency? 2017/1/16 15:09
Use google translate.
http://nextwebsearch.com/renntaka/

Top 5 is better.
(Small companies are cheaper but no EN and wide area support)
Tocoo is not a car rent company just meta search web.
by McDowell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommended car rental agency? 2017/1/16 16:53
Yes, and it helps you find good rates from a variety of companies, in English.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommended car rental agency? 2017/1/16 19:10
Another vote for Tocoo.

Their three advantages are:

- they are in English, and they act as a mediator between you and the hire company
- if you're travelling with children, ToCoo makes it a lot easier to reserve the specific kind of child seat that you need (e.g. baby, toddler, older child, etc). This doesn't always work too well through a translation website.
- they allow you to compare rates offered by different co's in the same location. This is useful when you might want to pickup in one place and return in another, as sometimes different co's have different levels of fees for this sort of hire. Also, one co may have a promotion (rent for x days and get a cheaper rate), which ToCoo will show you without you having to search 5 or so different websites.

People say that they are a little more expensive than booking direct. This may be the case, but the rates they have charged me have always been good value and IMHO they deserve a small commission for the service they provide.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Recommended car rental agency? 2017/1/16 21:30
Well, the most imprtant thing would be to be able to communicate somehow in case of an accident. I guess there is possibility to talk to the police phone number if someone happens to speak English, but for the accident scene, etc.

Well, I do have an app for the phone but it's not always as swift as speaking...

I do know some basic Japanese (did a university course a few years ago), but trying to explain to a policeofficer without making it complicated, etc...
by Toyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommended car rental agency? 2017/1/16 23:04
And I believe that ToCoo offer (for an extra cost) the facility to do just that.

Why not have a look at their page. It will take about the same time as typing our a response on here.....;0)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Recommended car rental agency? 2017/1/16 23:28
We used Nippon Rent-a-car (via Rakuten in combination with a flight and a hotel) and it worked out fine for our trip to Hokkaido. Was cheap but a 4WD and well suited for the icy conditions that we encountered late December.

BTW, check to see if you need an International Driver's license.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

reply to this thread