Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shoryudo Bus Pass or Takayama-Hokuriku Pass? 2017/1/17 19:30
Hi guys!

I'd just like to get your opinion on which of these passes (Shoryudo Highway Bus Pass or Takayama-Hokuriku Area Pass) would be better for me. I am flying in from Central Japan Airport and plan to stay in Kanazawa, Takayama and Nagoya, respectively. Both passes cover all the major sites I want to hit (these three + Toyama), and cost the same at Y14,000 for 5 days.

Because I don't plan on going to Kyoto/Osaka (the advantage of the TH pass), it seems that Shoryudo is a better deal because it offers more nearby destinations I can fit into the itinerary, particularly Gujo-Hachiman and Matsumoto. HOWEVER, I have heard that trains are more convenient, does not *require* reservations, and arrive faster.

Is the difference between trains and highway buses in terms of convenience, timeliness, and reservations worth getting the TH Pass over the SHB Pass?

I am traveling with one other person mid-May, in case that has any bearing on my chances re reserving our seats.

Thank you!
by The Elsewhereist  

Re: Shoryudo Bus Pass or Takayama-Hokuriku Pass? 2017/1/18 13:15
Train pass or bus pass alone is not an absolute answer. For sure many have combined both train and bus travels, yet that won't come less expensive.

With my experience regarding highway bus, it has a margin of 5 to 15-minute later arrival than the published arrival time at the endpoint. I am speaking of a weekend travel experience; not sure how you will fare during weekday. Arrival and/or departure in in-between destination were mostly on time.

For train travel, they are mostly on time.

Should you take the bus, you also have to do advance reservation in many sectors so better check out the website of the published bus companies in Shoryudo Bus Pass.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Shoryudo Bus Pass or Takayama-Hokuriku Pass? 2017/1/19 10:48
Thanks for your input! In terms of comfort, which would you prefer between trains and buses?
by The Elsewhereist rate this post as useful

Re: Shoryudo Bus Pass or Takayama-Hokuriku Pass? 2017/1/19 12:20
Comfort in bus: It depends on individual honestly. The highway bus I took is 2x2-seater with restroom. Some have no restroom. I found that the most comfortable seat (a little bit longer legroom) is in the last row before and beside the restroom. I also would make it a point to have an aisle seat since I am more comfortable there. If I found that I have no seatmate then that's the time I move to window.

When it comes to stowing your luggage, most highway buses have dedicated compartment or under-body storage.

Comfort in train: No doubt more comfortable and less restrictive compared to bus in terms of individual movement.

Check how to stow luggage in train here http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html and here http://jprail.com/travel-informations/travel-tips/baggage/managing-lug....
by stikiting rate this post as useful

reply to this thread