Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/23 02:55
Hi there,

I'm looking to travel around Japan whilst supporting myself working remotely for a UK-based company, but after a good many hours of googling I haven't quite been able to pin down whether or not this kind of thing would be acceptable when applying for the working holiday VISA.

If anyone's been in a similar situation before or has any sources for where this information could be found, it would be incredibly appreciated!

Thanks
by Kuwabara (guest)  

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/23 07:54
Your salary would presumably be going from a UK company to a UK bank account. Don't think the Japanese government would care about that.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/23 10:35
You would be on a tourist visa, and from the UK get up to 180 days (90 + 90 day extension). You are not receiving income within Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/23 12:10
@JapanCustomTours, thanks for the comment - when you say
"You would be on a tourist visa", does that mean that I wouldn't be able to acquire a Working Holiday VISA whilst working for a UK company?
by Kuwabara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/23 15:46
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/index.html

Seems like you can get the WH visa, but if you do not intend to stay longer than 180 days, it's not worth the hassle. Japan doesn't (have to) know about your activities for the UK company.
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/23 21:02
strictly saying, if OP gets "Zairyu card", he/she is a resident of Japan. a resident has a duty to inform his/her income to the government.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/24 03:57
Hey Kuwabara, the WH Visa just give you the opportunity to work, but you don't have to work at all.
Btw, I'm in a similar situation, so if you want to exchange some informations, write me an privat message.
by Xapslock rate this post as useful

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/24 07:25
he/she is a resident of Japan. a resident has a duty to inform his/her income to the government.

Not necessarily. For tax purposes, Kuwabara will be a "non-permenant resident" (or maybe even "non-resident") and will not have to declare income from outside of Japan that does not get sent to Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/24 07:54
You don't need to get a resident card or anything like that.

Visit the country under the tourist waiver programme. Under that programme you are allowed to undertake business activities (because it is not strictly a tourist visa) and still receive payment from your work/employer in your home country.

It is not complicated. I did my first two years in Japan like that.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Working Holiday - Remote Work for UK Company 2017/1/27 06:17
Thanks everyone, that's super helpful. Feel much more prepared and aware of my options as a result of your posts. m(_ _)m
by Kuwabara (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread