Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/23 12:39
Hello
I am traveling to Tokyo in April with my family (3 children 12,10 and 8) and we are staying 5 minute walk from Ryogoku. We are arriving at 7 pm at night and a bit concerned about catching trains and changing trains with luggage and small children. Would it be easier to catch the NEX or the sobu rapid express to Kinshicho and change there.

Thankyou
by nathandennis  

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/23 23:02
Too early.
New JR timetable starts 4 MAR.

Use again HyperDia.
by LDS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 03:25
HyperDia has been late in reflecting new time data for major revisions of JR train timetables.
When your main purpose is to check the accurate scheduled time for your JR Shinkansen or Limited Express train rides, I recommend you would not rely on this tool for your journey in April.

All JR Narita Express trains skip Kinshicho Station.
When you choose Narita Express, you should change platforms to make at least two transfers until Ryogoku Station.

JR ‚’apid trains, which are not "express" trains, only infrequently depart from the stations in NRT Terminals 1 and 2.

Alternatively you can take a train on the Keisei Main Line until (Keisei) Funabashi Station (#), make a transfer via a shopping center building and a pedestrian bridge to Funabashi Station of JR and catch a Local train on the JR Chuo-Sobu Line.
#: In public announcements for passengers, "Keisei" of this stationfs name is usually omitted.

To use the Keisei Main Line, you pass through boss Entrance and Intermediate gates in the Keisei station in NRT Terminal 1 or 2.
The two stations in Funabashi are fully equipped with elevators, and the pathway in the building is open until 23:00; this transfer can be made in ten minutes or so, not including time for waiting for a JR Local train.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: typo 2017/1/24 03:29
A typo is found in my previous reply.
NOT: boss Entrance and Intermediate gates
BUT: both Entrance and Intermediate gates

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 05:40
Be prepared to transfer at Chiba station, instead.

All Tokyo-area bound JR trains (except for N'Ex) that leave Narita airport make a stop at Chiba station. Few of them continue to Kinshicho, but those are infrequent.

So, if you get lucky and catch one of those trains that go to Kinshicho, then stay until Kinshicho and transfer onto JR Chuo Sobu line at Kinshicho (like you mentioned). Ryogoku is just one station from Kinshicho on Chuo Sobu line.

Otherwise, get on any other Tokyo-area bound JR train (except for N'Ex) and transfer at Chiba station onto Chuo Sobu line. Chuo Sobu line train will take you to Ryogoku.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 08:27
I can think of two train stations at Ryogoku - where are you actually staying?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 08:36
I can think of two train stations at Ryogoku

If by Ryogoku you mean the administrative area thus named, that would be difficult because there is a grand total of zero rail stations located in it. Even Ryogoku station is actually located in neighbouring Yokoami.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 08:49
Thanks for the info, we are staying in Ryogoku 3 Chome, Sumida.

Much appreciated

Nathan
by nathandennis rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 09:22
Thanks Firas - useful to know obscure stuff like that.

So with a short walk, possible in around 80 minutes and one transfer.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=NARITA%20AIRPOR...

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 09:57
Is it not possible to take the Narita Sky Access from Narita to Higashi Nihombashi and then a taxi across the Sumida?
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 11:22
I have a family of 5, are there taxis available that cater for 5 of us plus luggage? As this is our first time in Tokyo we didn't want to split up.

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 11:38
Sorry, I didn't really take the size of your group into account and I'm not that familiar with taxis...it just seemed an easier train trip with no transfers......
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 12:32
I am also wondering if it is worth buying my IC card prior to arriving in Tokyo. Will the ticket offices be open at 8pm? As I have children I have to wait and purchase theirs in Tokyo.

Thanks

Re: Narita to Ryogoku 2017/1/24 15:30
If you are getting rail passes, you can get IC cards as part of your order via Japan Experience (yes, they come from Paris to your door in three days, but it works).

reply to this thread