Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan itinerary 2017/1/23 13:55
Hello,

First of all what a great website and forum to get information from. I am planning a first time trip with my boyfriend. We will be going te last two weeks of September and the first two weeks of October. Right now we have the following itinerary:

Day 1 monday 18th of september Flight to Tokyo
Day 2 tuesday arrival 8:20
Day 3 wednesday Tokyo
Day 4 thursday Tokyo
Day 5 friday Tokyo(daytrip Hakone)
Day 6 saterdayTokyo
Day 7 sundayTokyo to Yudanaka
Day 8 monday Yudanaka
Day 9 tuesday Yudanaka to Matsumoto
Day 10 wednesday Matsumoto
Day 11 thursday Matsumoto to Takayama
Day 12 fridayTakayama
Day 13 saterday Takayama to Kanazawa
Day 14 sunday Kanazawa
Day 15 monday Kanazawa to Kyoto
Day 16 tuesday Kyoto
Day 17 wednesday Kyoto(day trip Himeji)
Day 18 thursday Kyoto(day trip Nara)
Day 19 friday Kyoto
Day 20 saterday Kyoto to Hiroshima
Day 21 sunday Hiroshima
Day 22 monday Hirosima to Nagasaki
Day 23 tuesday Nagasaki
Day 24 wednesdayNagasaki to Osaka
Day 25 thursday Osaka
Day 26 friday Flight home from Osaka

Our questions:
-What do you think about the itinerary? we love to mix up cities with culture and nature
-To much time in Tokyo? Or kyoto?
-At the end we would have liked to go to Kumamoto / Kagoshima / Beppu, but we can't seem to find a way to fit those in without spending a lot of time travelling. Any ideas?
-Do you recommend booking everything in advance?

I would love to hear some feedback from you.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica
by JessicaScholten  

Re: Japan itinerary 2017/1/23 17:06

Hi Jessica,

First off I am an American who has visited Japan two times and has been to most of the places on your list. I would book everything in advance and use the web-site and forum to find money saving ways on transportation and activities in each area.

As for suggestions:
1) When in Tokyo look into visiting Yokohama. It was only a 30 minute train ride from the Shinjuku section of Tokyo.
2) Buy an Osaka Awesome Pass for 1 or 2 days. This gives you unlimited subway and bus plus entrance into over 30 attractions.
3)Fly from Nagasaki to Osaka to save time. I flew from Osaka to Nagasaki and my flight was around $40USD. This also holds true of traveling from Hiroshima to Nagasaki.

Nagasaki is my favorite Japanese city!! Make sure you visit the Dutch section, John Glover garden/house, Chinatown, take the ropeway to the top of the mountain and of course the bomb monument.

All the signs on mass transit are written in English so it is easy to travel by mass transit. Most restaurants have English menus and many people speak at least some English. You will have a great time on your trip!!
by Russell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan itinerary 2017/1/23 17:07
Pretty good; great to have 28 days for the trip. You have several days where you are travelling between cities not all that far apart; Day 7, 9, 15, etc,. These should enable you to get a lot done in the city you arrive in and might free up another day for Tokyo. Or Kyoto. (Oh and do Himeji on your way to Hiroshima, it's an ideal stopover but a bugger of a round-trip from Kyoto in terms of travel time.) The next step in your planning is to break your destination cities down into things you want to do there and roughly on which day. Kyoto especially needs some thought as the attractions there are kind of scattered all over the city and surrounding countryside and each requires different bus routes or, subway lines. Tokyo is a little better in this regard as the JR Yamanote line makes a nice counterclockwise circuit from Tokyo Station, catching many of the top sites. And Asakusa/Sensoji and nearby Sky Tree are easy subway rides from Tokyo Station. One more suggestion; build in some unscheduled downtime, preferably one morning every six days. Take my word for it, you'll need it. Think coin laundry and unplanned trips to the drugstore. Enjoy your trip.
by johnnyman rate this post as useful

Re: Japan itinerary 2017/1/23 19:40
If you want to have a time in Kyushu, then I suggest you to time your travel by checking your train and bus schedules. You can do a matrix/tabulation of your travel. On that way, you can plan in advance all your connections and accommodations.

It does not take a whole day to travel on each of your location. You may unload/free up some of days to patch in your Kyushu tour. In the coming weeks, you will see a better picture as you put your schedules, especially when you have early morning or late afternoon schedules.

Check Hyperdia or Jorudan for connections in train travels. Search here in Japan Guide or Google for more information especially for bus travels.

Will you be using JR Pass? 21-day JR Pass I believe will do good in your travel.

When in Tokyo, you may find yourself using IC card (Suica or Pasmo). Take it with you as you can use it on other parts of Japan http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html. The downside is that the IC card bought in Tokyo can only be refunded in Tokyo only if you opt to.

Tokyo to Nagano to Yudanaka, Yudanaka to Nagano to Matsumoto - I believe you have researched on this already. Nagano to Yudanaka is not part of JR Pass.

Nagano to Matsumoto - an hour away via JR limited express.

Matsumoto to Takayama - Best connection is by bus which is not part of JR Pass. It won't be an easy connection if you travel by train from Matsumoto as you have to travel 1) back to Nagano then shinkansen to Toyama then train [local or Wide View Hida] to Takayama or 2) Shinano to Nagoya then Wide View Hida to Takayama.

I am not even sure about your other itinerary when in Takayama but if you can find time you may visit Inuyama Castle, 2.5 hours away from Takayama. It may not be an easy travel since you have to change train network (JR to Meitetsu). Meitetsu trains are not part of JR Pass.

Takayama to Kanazawa - Best connection is by bus which is not part of JR Pass. On your way from Takayama to Kanazawa thru bus, in between it is Shirakawago so you might detour there. If you insist on train, connect 1) Takayama thru Toyama then shinkansen ride to Kanazawa or 2) Takayama thru Nagoya then Shirarsagi to Kanazawa.

Kanazawa to Kyoto - If you stay near Kanazawa station, you can tour Kyoto after taking the earliest Thunderbird or after 2 schedules as you arrive. Alternatively, you may visit Hikone in between Kanazawa to Kyoto http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7003.html.

Kyoto - you may check arukumachi kyoto website on your travel in the city. You may take Otsu/Shiga/Biwako or Northern Kyoto as side trip.

Hiroshima - travel from Kyoto will be ok. Check your schedule if you are planning on going to Miyajima.

Kyushu area - check Japan Guide or similar threads here on what to do there. As already mentioned, you can even fly between Kyushu to Itami http://www.osaka-airport.co.jp/en/flight/flightschedule/.

Himeji - either take it as a detour before going to Hiroshima or after your arrival in Osaka. Sanyo and Kyushu shinkansens actually stop in Shin-Osaka so you have a better choice there.

Nara - You can even access it when in Osaka. If you plan on visiting Inari to Byodoin to Nara town proper via Kyoto, just travel to Inari or Byodoin from Kyoto and combine it with any other Kyoto itinerary. Better save the Nara town proper when in Osaka.

KIX - Since you still have active JR Pass, you can use it on Haruka express if you connect via Shin-Osaka or Tennoji. However, the fastest in my opinion is the Rap:t by Nankai from Namba or Shin-Imamiya which is invalid in JR Pass (separate ticket).
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Japan itinerary 2017/1/24 01:52
Wow, thank you all for your answers! It makes me al the more excited tot start planning the details! I Will look info all the feedback you have given me, andere may ask further questions in the future :)
by JessicaScholten rate this post as useful

Re: Japan itinerary 2017/1/24 02:57
JR companies will revise train timetables to be effective from 4 March 2017.
To check time for your JR Shinkansen and Limited Express train rides, please wait until March.
(HyperDia tends to be late in reflecting new time data.)

A Japan Rail Pass does not allow you to take Shinkansen Nozomi or Mizuho trains.
Considering your time for waiting for Shinkansen Hikari or Sakura trains, regarding your Shinkansen legs from Kyoto to Hiroshima, from Hiroshima to Nagasaki and from Nagasaki to Shin-Osaka, I recommend you would expect one or two hours each in addition to the required time mentioned in japan-guide.com articles.

two weeks of September and the first two weeks of October.

During that season, it may be rainy for many days in most parts of Japan; one or a few typhoons may come or approach.
So, please make sure to prepare rain gears and check weather forecasts.
For your outdoor activities, it sounds better to plan substitutes in case the weather is not suitable.
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/yoho/

Enjoy planning your trips!

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread