Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/23 15:36
Hi

May i know is the 7 days JR pass nation wide allow to travel Kyushu if i travel by shinkansen and JR train?

I come to know a clause that IR pass does not covered Nozomi and Mizuho trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushun shinkansen lines. Does it mean that as long as i don't take Nozomi and Mizuho trains, any other shinkansen is covered by JR pass?

Regards
Nicole
by nicole liau  

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/23 17:54
Yes and yes.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/23 20:13
I actually find it iffy. When I was riding the Mizuho from Shin-Osaka to Himeji, I swear I saw other tourists having JR Pass with them (I was using regional pass then).

I assumed that maybe they were allowed since they started in Shin-Osaka or most likely, they have purchased the difference between Mizuho and Sakura or Hikari which I know won't come cheap. I did not bother to check them anyway since I knew that the ticketmaster will do it rounds plus I was further at the back while the other tourists were in the front.

For the return, I clocked the Nozomi and the same thing happened so I was just assuming that if you were to start or end in Tokyo, Nozomi and Mizuho is not allowed all throughout. And so I wonder how will one be able to use an ordinary nationwide JR Pass for Hayabusa (going Hokkaido) which is reserved-seating exclusive.

However, as mentioned in JR Pass official website, since it stated you are not allowed Mizuho and Nozomi then you are not allowed so.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/23 21:05
Thanks. May I know JR kyushu pass cover Hiroshima too? It looks like it does not cover Hiroshima.
by nicole liau rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/23 23:07
It does not cover Hiroshima, just the island of Kyushu.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/24 02:59
Well, even though riding a Nozomi or Mizuho with a nationwide pass is not allowed, there's nothing technically stopping you, so you can do it and hope tickets don't get checked on board (and they do, try to play dumb).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/24 17:10
thanks Firas, i like your response.

i will purchase 7 days JR nation wide pass.

thanks all!

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/24 17:13
My message was mostly intended as an answer to stikiting, though, I'm not saying I recommend doing that. :p
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/24 23:13
doing things like this will give an bad impression of foreigners and if happens a lot might in the long term even result in termination of the railpass project...

it is already very hard to explain the railpass to the japanese people, who have to pay insane amounts to travel.

so please dont do things like this.
by Glimpigumpi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass nation wide to Kyushu 2017/1/25 21:03
Of course I will not do this, don't worry.

reply to this thread