Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

IC card 2017/1/23 23:36
Hi,

I'll be travelling to Tokyo-Kyoto and Osaka for 9 days. Arriving and exiting in Narita airport.

I will be purchasing a JR pass but I think I will still need an IC card. Which would be the best deal? Should I get the SUICA card?

Thank you
by Chrisma  

Re: IC card 2017/1/24 07:34
There is no best deal. They are all more or less the same, and they are a replacement for cash and do not provide discounts. In the Tokyo/Narita area, you have the choice between Pasmo and Suica. They are identical, except for where you can buy and refund them (JR East stations vs. non-JR stations in the Greater Tokyo area).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: IC card 2017/1/24 16:53
If you plan to return the card before leaving, Pasmo has the advantage of no handling fee (220 yen with Suica).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: IC card 2017/1/24 22:42
Okay I understand but since I am getting the JR Pass, I would want an IC card that I can use in non-JR lines buses etc.
by Chrisma rate this post as useful

Re: IC card 2017/1/24 23:33
In that case, get the first IC card you run into, whether SUICA, PASMO, ICOCA, etc.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: IC card 2017/1/24 23:41
I always use ICOCA card for all train and buses in Japan, including Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. Never had a problem or rejection, the credit on the card is valid for 10 years, card I'm using I obtained in 2013. I visit japan 2-3 times a year. You can 'top it up' at any Railway Station.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: IC card 2017/1/25 01:03
@Firas
Is it really true there is no refund handling fee for PASMO?

PASMO's own website mentions a "refund processing fee", but doesn't actually say the amount.
http://www.pasmo.co.jp/en/use/repayment/
by twotterdhc6 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: IC card 2017/1/25 03:07
@twotterdhc6

PASMO's own website mentions a "refund processing fee", but doesn't actually say the amount.

Checking "Named and blank PASMO cards" section, you see no handling fee mentioned there.

A refund of e-money stored on a PASMO card is free of handling fee.
A refund of a commuter pass loaded on a PASMO card requires a handling fee.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: IC card 2017/1/25 06:55
Thanks! I'll try it in a couple weeks when I'm there.
by twotterdhc6 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread