Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say "You are beautiful" in Japanese 2017/1/25 13:10
I was just wondering how you would write "You are beautiful"
by Megan (guest)  

Re: How to say 2017/1/26 15:48
In my experience telling a Japanese woman that she is beautiful can be a bit of a trap because often she would prefer to be found cute ('kawaii') and if you call her beautiful you might have messed up a bit. So you really would need to get a feeling whether she would prefer beautiful (bijin da) or kawaii. :-)
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2017/1/26 18:22
H,

But you can make the mistake of calling someone kawaii (cute) when she's too old or mature or senior to you for that.

OP,

When asking for translations, you should clarify your intention, context, and who (age range, gender etc) is saying that to whom for what purpose. Otherwise, you'd get lost in translation.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2017/1/28 18:51
Honestly, I was thinking of getting a tattoo that says "you are beautiful" written in Japanese and I was just wondering how it would be written I wouldn't trust google translate with these things lol
by Megan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2017/1/28 19:57
Then don't trust anonymous internet users like us.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2017/1/28 23:10
I've dated a number of heavily tattooed guys (Japanese and non-Japanese), including a tattoo artist. My experience is that if you want a tattoo in Japanese you should go to a Japanese artist and discuss what you want with them, they will work with you to design something appropriate. It's important to consult with an expert who knows not only whether or not the words make sense, but also whether or not they work as a tattoo, because not everything does. If you just take a design or some text of a direct translation to an artist and ask them to reproduce it on your skin, quite honestly there is a good chance they won't know or care if it's something you should be committing to having on your body for the rest of your life, they just want your money.

Go to a Japanese artist, they will give you a tattoo that looks pleasing to your eyes, and doesn't look stupid to Japanese (at least the ones who approve of tattooing).
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2017/2/2 20:45
Go to a Japanese artist, they will give you a tattoo that looks pleasing to your eyes, and doesn't look stupid to Japanese (at least the ones who approve of tattooing).

Good luck with that...

"You're beautiful." Goodness which planet are you living on??
by Harry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to say 2017/2/3 03:45
Yes, I would tend to agree that a direct translation might not be the best idea for a tattoo. No reason she can't work with a bilingual artist to get a design based on the concept she wants though. A respectable artist will not give you a tattoo which is poorly thought out in design, or ludicrous in meaning.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread