Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cherry blossom Shikoku 2017/1/26 22:56
Hi,
I am travelling through west Japan arriving in Kumamoto about 25th March evening, then heading onward to Shikoku, not sure which approach, travelling around until about 6th or 7th April leaving toward Osaka (not sure which approach, if through Okayama, by the Kobe ferry from Takamatsu or Wakayama ferry from Tokushima). Finally leaving Japan from Kansai airport the morning of the 10th of April.

Learning of the recent sakura forecast, is there any recommended route I should take around Shikoku? Will be using a JR pass along the travel.

Noticed Kochi is not mentioned in the forecast...
by Peeze (guest)  

Re: Cherry blossom Shikoku 2017/1/27 07:58
The only way to reach Shikoku with a Japan Rail Pass is via the Seto Ohashi Bridge from Okayama. Kochi is one of the first cities in Japan to bloom (usually about the same as Kumamoto), usually several days ahead of Matsuyama and especially Takamatsu.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom Shikoku 2017/1/27 08:15
You can travel to Shikoku by a ferry, but you may encounter difficulty exchanging the All Shikoku Rail Pass voucher, depending on the port of arrival. If using a nation-wide JR Pass, then it is not an issue.

There was a recent thread on that topic: http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+153071
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom Shikoku 2017/1/27 08:19
No no, I'll be using either the Setouchi rail pass or the national pass. Since the Setouchi is only for 5 days and not even covering Kochi on the other hand...

By the way, it says Kagoshima is exxpected to have later blooming than like Fukuoka... isnt Kagoshima warmer?
by Peeze (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom Shikoku 2017/1/27 08:23
The cherry blossoms need cold temperatures during the winter in order to wake up from hibernation. In Kagoshima, it tends to be too warm, causing the cherry blossoms to wake up from hibernation with a delay compared to the cherry blossom further north in Kyushu.

It is even more extreme in Okinawa, where the cherry blossom front typically moves from north to south.

Re: Cherry blossom Shikoku 2017/1/27 09:23
I heard there were cherry blossom in Yakushima too. Is it the same with them?
by Peeze (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom Shikoku 2017/1/27 10:58
Sorry, I am not familiar with the timing of Yakushima's cherry blossoms.

reply to this thread