Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Summer trip to Japan 2017/1/27 15:42
Please recommend 5.5 days trip. Generally the route is Tokyo-Nikko-Japanese Alps-Kanazawa-Takayama-Matsumoto-tokyo. The order is not important/ Leaving Tokyo on Sunday, Aarriving back on Friday at about 2PM.
Recommend also: Train or rental car?
by AVIGDOR SHAPIRA (guest)  

Re: Summer trip to Japan 2017/1/27 21:07
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Summer trip to Japan 2017/1/27 23:54
A lot of travel for such a short trip. Understand that you are unlikely to get to spend a full day at any of these and you may even spend almost as much time travelling as you will having fun. Are you happy with that? I think you can definitely do it but 5 days will fly by, it really is a very very short time to spend in the country.

It's not the answer you are looking for but if it were me I opt for Tokyo plus a longer stay in one of the other places, probably Nikko since it's my favourite of the four and it's also really easy to get there.

For example arrive in Tokyo on the Sunday, travel to Nikko on Tuesday and spend the night there, head back in the evening on Wednesday and you still have a day and a half left in Tokyo. You could even squeeze in a trip to Kamakura or something. There's lots to do without travelling further afield.

Just my view.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Summer trip to Japan 2017/1/28 04:47
Six locations in 5.5 days? Not realistic sorry.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Summer trip to Japan 2017/1/28 09:21
You can do that, but realise you are doubling up on the alps with Takayama and "alps". You might do Nikko as a day trip (overnight is fine, and then train to Kanazawa). I assume you are going to Kanazawa for the gardens/castle.

Driving is not practical - train and bus achievable (eg Takayama to Matsumoto). Even on that day, you wouldn't be overnight in Matsumoto but get the express back to Tokyo.

My overall opinion is that the plan is messy and not well thought out. Sure they are good locations, but in five days be clear why you are going to these places and realise there might be better or useful substitutes without long side trips.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread