Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ibaraki to Takayama 2017/1/28 22:23
I'm a novice driver, just got my license in August last year. I'm planning to go to Takayama with some friends this January. The farthest I've driven are from Haneda to Ibaraki and Ibaraki to Nikko.I would like to ask what the road conditions are like this time of the year to Takayama? My kei car is has new winter tires, but will I need a chain? Will the roads be snowy? How much will the tolls cost? Is this a crazy idea?

Loooking forward to your advice.
by drherb  

Re: Ibaraki to Takayama 2017/1/29 08:57
The fastest way is via Matsumoto and then through the mountains. The road is narrow and curvy with scary tunnels. There is going to be snow at least in the higher areas. I would not recommend it to anybody who does not feel confident about his (winter) driving skills.

In Takayama itself, the snow conditions vary. Sometimes there is a lot of snow, but sometimes there is only little snow, and the roads can be completely free of snow. Right now, there are about 35 cm of snow.

How much will the tolls cost?

From Mito via Matsumoto around 7,800 yen one way. Can be considerably cheaper with ETC.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Ibaraki to Takayama 2017/1/29 16:07
by NSDA (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread