Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Guide required for July hiking? 2017/1/31 14:43
Hello all,

My friends and I (maximum 4 of us) are planning on a day hike or two in Daisetsuzan while we are down there in July this year. Is a guide required to do a hike? I was talking to another friend of mine today who was saying that at Shiretoko, they were required to take a guide along due to the possibilities of bears on the trail. I haven't seen any such warning or comments about that in Daisetsuzan, but I wanted to be sure in case we need to book a guide early.

Thank you so much!
by Angela (guest)  

Re: Guide required for July hiking? 2017/1/31 17:20

Because the area is densely populated by brown bears, hikers need to attend a short lecture at the bear information center before setting off.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6781.html

If I were in your shoes, I would not hesitate to have an experienced local guide travelling with me.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Guide required for July hiking? 2017/1/31 17:32
You should have at least one guide. Otherwise, I don't recommend you to hike in a country where you are not used to. I hope you enjoy! Thank you.
by bruce888 rate this post as useful

Re: Guide required for July hiking? 2017/2/1 06:32
Even in non-densely bear populated areas, there are bears all over Japan and attacks are common (I did see a reference that there were 40+/year).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Guide required for July hiking? 2017/2/11 18:38
Thanks for the responses! My friends and I have decided to forego more strenuous hiking, and just do the summits from their respective bases -- i.e., Asahidake from Asahidake Onsen (via the ropeway) and Kurodake from Sounkyo Onsen (via the ropeway as well).
by Angela (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread