Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kyoto, Hiroshima 2017/2/1 05:06
We're traveling to Japan June 4-14 with two older teens and I'm trying to figure out a reasonable # of days to spend in each of these places. We want to have a broad taste of modern Japan, coupled with history and culture. My son wants to spend some time in Akhiabara since he is into all things tech, gaming, and anime, but other than that we're not sure how much time to actually spend in Tokyo. We thought a couple days on each end of the trip. We want to do a day of hiking near Mt. Fuji (5 lakes area) and maybe one night in that area, and then head to Kyoto for a few days with a side trip to Nara. My daughter wants to go to the Arashiyama monkey park. We plan to go to Hiroshima to the Peace Memorial even though it is quite a distance, and assume we can do one night in Hiroshima and then back to Tokyo. Any recommendations on how many nights to spend in each place? We plan to get a 7 day JR Pass, but what other transportation passes will we need based on our itinerary. I understand that local lines aren't included in the JR pass. Is it reasonable to take trains every place or do we need to factor in buses? We really don't want to get international drivers licenses.
by Rebecca01  

Re: Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kyoto, Hiroshima 2017/2/1 10:41
Since your vacation is 10 days long, I suggest you split the time 3&7 and utilize the 7-day JR Pass for outside of Tokyo. Within Tokyo, there are other passes you can use (like 72 hour subway pass) to explore the city.

How many days to spend in Fuji-Kyoto-Hiroshima depends on your interest. You can do 2-3-2 comfortably, or spend more time in Kyoto if you are into temples/shrines, etc.

JR Pass does not cover everything, but you still get your money's worth if your trip includes RT from Tokyo to Hiroshima.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kyoto, Hiroshima 2017/2/1 10:56
Hi Rebecca,

I think your travel plan is sounding pretty good! Dividing Tokyo between the start and end of your trip is a great idea, especially if youfre not used to big, busy crowds. Ifm from a small city in Australia, and I was surprised at how overwhelmed I was by the ebusy-nessf of Tokyo when I first holidayed here – I still had a great time, but if Ifm honest I enjoyed our time in Kyoto and Osaka more, back then. For a trip of this length, I would think 3 - 4 days in total for Tokyo would be enough.

If your kids like amusement parks, I would consider adding an extra day to your Fujigoko / Fuji Five Lakes stay. Therefs a popular amusement park called Fuji-Q Highland - one of the rollercoasters there holds a Guinness World Record, so that could be fun!

Kyoto is really beautiful, and offers a great mix of city-based and nature-based attractions which is great for when you might be feeling a bit ecitied outf and in need of some nature time! Perhaps consider spending 3 days in Kyoto, including your Nara day trip. Therefs a lot to do in the city, but therefs also really nice hiking nearby!

I know wefre erunning out of daysf, but have you considered adding Osaka to your itinerary? It's only an hour or so out from Kyoto by train and it's a really vibrant, fun city that is well worth a visit. There's a really spectacular aquarium there, and it's a great city for walking tours as many of the signs and statues have interesting histories and superstitions attached. If you do decide to check it out, Ifd recommend spending 2 days there if you can!

I donft really know enough about the trains to comment on that part of your post, sorry! But you can definitely do everything you mentioned on trains / busses so no need to get an international driverfs license ☺
by valerie1234 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread