Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First time visiting itinerary 2017/2/2 04:47
Hello, Im traveling with my husband on September, its our first time in Japan, I want to get the most out of our 10 night stay but still have chance to spend a night at Benesse House in Naoshima and Gora Kadan in Hakone. After research I think one night at GK is enough to get a ryokan experience but still confused if I should if its going to be enough only one night at Noashima considering its a long trip. ILm not sure if my itinerary feels rush or looks ok???
Please advise me any changes I should make.

Friday 15
-Arrive in Tokyo

Saturday 16
-Tokyo

Sunday 17
-Tokyo (maybe Kamakura or Nikko visit)

Monday 18
-Tokyo (maybe Kamakura or Nikko visit)

Tuesday 19
-Tokyo to Naoshima with either of these options:
*departing TOKYO 6:16am arriving UNO 10:37am
*departing TOKYO 7:10am arriving UNO 11:45am
*departing TOKYO 8:10am arriving UNO 12:34pm

And maybe do part of the museum or island visit that evening

Wednesday 20
-Museums visit and leave to Kyoto in either of these options:
*departing UNO 17:05pm arriving KYOTO 17:16pm
*departing UNO 17:42pm arriving KYOTO 19:52pm

Have dinner at Kyoto

Thursday 21
-Tour Kyoto

Friday 22
-Kyoto (maybe nara visit)

Saturday 23
-Kyoto (maybe Arashiyama cycling tour)

Sunday 24
-Leave Kyoto to hakone, visit maybe the Open Air Museum and chill at Gora kadan.
*departing KYOTO 10:36am arriving KYOTO 13:07pm (can do ir earlier if its convenient)

Lunes 25
-Breakfast at the hotel and leave to Narita to catch our evening flight
by Ana Lopez (guest)  

Re: First time visiting itinerary 2017/2/2 19:30
How do you plan to go to each location? Will you be using train pass, bus or flying?

Your itinerary is doable.

Let's say you will be travelling using 7-day JR Pass. If you will be using shinkansen, you will have to activate JR Pass on 9.19. If you to take advantage of night train from Tokyo to Okayama, you will have to activate JR Pass on 9.18. While it is difficult to book for nobi nobi seats in night train, you can give it a try.

JR Pass may be an overkill in Kyoto if your interest is Kyoto only plus Inari and Saga-Arashiyama even going to Nara town proper.

I would also recommend to you to take overnight train from Osaka (or if time permits go all the way to Okayama) back to Tokyo but if you travel on Sunday which is a weekend plus outskirts of Silver Week, it will be most difficult to secure nobi nobi seat on the night train.

If you are willing, travel by overnight bus from Tokyo to Okayama and Kyoto to Tokyo but both will not be part of JR Pass.

When in Kansai, Kansai Wide Area Pass will do. If you purchase that pass by online reservation, only Kyoto, Shin-Osaka, Osaka and KIX accepts it in exchange of real pass. If you will have MCO or exchange voucher of that pass purchased from your home country, you can exchange for real pass in Okayama. See full details here http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_wide/. But honestly, any JR pass is an overkill when in Kyoto.

If you are willing to shoulder ticket from Kyoto to Odawara, that will do. If you have time before your flight home, maybe you can catch the NEX (operated by JR East) from Kawaguchiko leaving around 14:00. In order to do that, you have to be in Gotemba then bus to Kawaguchiko. Else, just go back to Tokyo/Shinjuku from Odawara then take limousine bus or train to Narita.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: First time visiting itinerary 2017/2/3 05:16
Thank you for your help!! I still don't know if JR 7 day is worth it; it takes longer from tokyo-uno and maybe I can figure a way to do it with not much price difference.
I thought

It leaves 7:10am Tokyo arriving 11:45 UNO for \10,800

TOKYO (SHINKANSEN NOZOMI 9)
transfer OKAYAMA (JR Marine Liner 23) for TAKAMATSU
transfer CHAYAMACHI (JR Uno-port Line) for UNO
end UNO

For Naoshima-Kyoto: Leaving Naoshima 17:42 arriving Kyoto 17:52pm for \4,430

UNO (JR Uno-port Line) for CHAYAMACHI
transfer CHAYAMACHI (JR Marine Liner 52) for OKAYAMA
transfer OKAYAMA (SHINKANSEN NOZOMI 54)
end KYOTO

ILm still confused what my best option is if I do get to Naoshima that way.
by Ana Lopez (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time visiting itinerary 2017/2/3 10:11
Take note you cannot use Nozomi and Mizuho in JR Pass. You are only allowed at most Sakura/Hikari/Kodama.

If you ride Nozomi and Mizuho coming from Tokyo, the best way is pay separate ticket.

Re: First time visiting itinerary 2017/2/3 10:27
ILm thinking paying separate for a shorter trip, still donLt know if its worth it and in that case what passes should I get for the first and last part of the trip?
by Ana Lopez (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time visiting itinerary 2017/2/3 10:33

reply to this thread